Sign in to follow this  
Rayv

ebay violin seller

Someone paid $1250 to buy it! What for?

me too can't understand the reason someone on earth willing to pay for this "violin" with that sort of money

People will buy things from themselves using friend/family/co-scammer accounts to build up their feedback and credibility for "selling" high value goods. It only costs them a small fee and sets them up nicely for ripping people off under the guise of apparent legitimacy. You know "Hotdog has sold thirty violins for 150,000 each, he must be a well known dealer operating on ebay under a pseudonym. I think I'll buy that certified Del Gesu he's offering for 25,000."

As an ebay aside, I notice the same con-merchants as always are putting up more and more pics with altered colour or lighting to try to change the varnish colours and make them look better and/or diguise the country of origin. There have been some Germanic violins on sale with such dark varnish that the seller has had to make the pics almost bright red to try to hide the colour. It's laughable except some poor mugs get caught and pay "Italian prices" for German or Eastern European junk.

Jmannsback:

Hmmm....wonder what that "J" stands for.... Here is a post from June 09.

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?...18694&st=20

Luthierwanabe wrote: Gammuto violins,Eboy.inc and violiniada are all related. They are father, son and doughter in this scam. The son and doughter do the playing you see on youtube. They sell Chinese made violins under different labels on Ebay. I happened to visit Mr. Gammuto's shop back in Nov.2008. Let me tell you, he does not make violins! He's far from being a luthier. I wish I heard about this forum early so that I would have put in my 2 cents. They are still selling violins as of today on Ebay and taking people for a ride.

I just hope that anyone bidding on eboy is smart enough to run an internet search first.

Tom

ebay violin sellers have plenty "antique" violins in their backyard? how can they get all these old violins, (except those fake) to let them sell continuously throughout the yr?

I visit the youtube channel from time to time and I usuallly enjoy the samples. It is a popular channel afterall, and that can explain or contribute to the high bidding.

About all the credibility thing, I dont really want to comment and get into a fight or something. I'll just call myself neutral.

ebay violin sellers have plenty "antique" violins in their backyard? how can they get all these old violins, (except those fake) to let them sell continuously throughout the yr?

I am not quite sure of what you mean by "antique" violins. If you are referring to violins which are 100 years old and are commercial production, these are not rare and come up for sale quite often. Late in the 19th century and early in the 20th century there were many, many factories exporting large quantities to the U.S. If you look in some of the old Sears and Montgomery Ward reproduction catalogs you will find a large selection of violins being offered. They were quite common and plentiful. Now those violins are coming out of closets, attics, basements and garages and being offered on eBay at high prices.

They can occasionally be found in antiques shops, garage sales and in flea markets.

I noticed that all the comments on youtube for the eboyinc videos are generated by either the same people or people who for some reason choose to take similar formulaic user names. This, combined with the ubiquitous "possibly italian" moniker in all the auction descriptions, is like a lesson in how to scam people using the internet that is worthy of a business school case. They must have some kind of schedule mapped out to log into youtube periodically using different login names and then leave gratuitous comments for each of their current auctions.

I took the liberty to leave a comment on one of the eboyinc violins. It did not take more that a few hours for it to be removed....