Let me have it please.

I had posted my new acquisition in the auction thread now I'm ready for the professionals, and anyone else that wants, to comment on my new violin.

First - I bought this only because I liked the sound and I felt a connection with it. NOT the things I've learned from you all over the last 10 years, but I'm female and couldn't help myself. I agree with the seller that the label is most likely not original to the piece but would like to hear your thoughts on origin.

Any comments greatly appreciated. I'm a big girl and can take it.

HERE

Thanks for your time.

I had posted my new acquisition in the auction thread now I'm ready for the professionals, and anyone else that wants, to comment on my new violin.

First - I bought this only because I liked the sound and I felt a connection with it. NOT the things I've learned from you all over the last 10 years, but I'm female and couldn't help myself. I agree with the seller that the label is most likely not original to the piece but would like to hear your thoughts on origin.

HERE

Thanks for your time.

Most likely the label is not original. This violin appears to be of later production, possibly late 19th cent. It does resemble the work of the Neuner family, but one can not be sure. The finish on this violin is known as a Gypsy finish and is quite typical of the late 19th century. Neuner violins sound quite nice and I think that you did OK on this instrument. It looks to be in very nice condition.

Did you base your purchase solely on the sound of the video? I think, from experience, you might be surprised when you get it. Please let us know if you played it, (which seems improbable since you live in CT and the violin was sold three days ago from Europe) and how it is once you do get it, if I have the scenario right.

For me, a red flag on such a violin as this is the fact of no refunds and no selling to someone in the same country, if I read it right. I sincerely hope for the best for you and would love to hear how it turns out.

I'm far from an expert on old fiddles, but it just looks a little odd to me. If you look at the picture of the end of the instrument, showing the end pin, you'll see that the black finish goes over the varnish, and INTO a chip in the finish underneath. The "wear pattern" through the black finish is not where you would expect to see wear. A quick internet search didn't show any references to the name listed on the label, and it seems a little odd the see a German maker in St. Petersburg (Russia?). Still, if it's in good shape, plays nicely, and YOU like it, that's really what counts. Price isn't too bad.

Did you base your purchase solely on the sound of the video? I think, from experience, you might be surprised when you get it. Please let us know if you played it, (which seems improbable since you live in CT and the violin was sold three days ago from Europe) and how it is once you do get it, if I have the scenario right.

For me, a red flag on such a violin as this is the fact of no refunds and no selling to someone in the same country, if I read it right. I sincerely hope for the best for you and would love to hear how it turns out.

Yes, just the video, I have no idea why it called my name like that. I too, will be interested if it will sound the same to me.

I spoke at length with the seller, mainly those warnings about refunds are to hopefully ward off the problem buyers he's had in the past. He has assured me I will be happy. On that note, I had a problem in the past with a seller overseas when buying a large priced item, Paypal easily got my money back as soon as I sent it back to him, even though his "policy" said no refunds.

If I'm not happy, at least it's not a great amount of money. I took a long look at his feedback, and like others (except I don't have it yet) I feel like this has been a great transaction as far as communication, the final price I got compared to his asking price, and the fact that he's throwing in a German bow so I can be all set up with it right away. Let's hope I feel that way in the end.

I'll keep you posted when she arrives.

I'm far from an expert on old fiddles, but it just looks a little odd to me. If you look at the picture of the end of the instrument, showing the end pin, you'll see that the black finish goes over the varnish, and INTO a chip in the finish underneath. The "wear pattern" through the black finish is not where you would expect to see wear. A quick internet search didn't show any references to the name listed on the label, and it seems a little odd the see a German maker in St. Petersburg (Russia?). Still, if it's in good shape, plays nicely, and YOU like it, that's really what counts. Price isn't too bad.

Doug,

I didn't notice that but will have it looked it for sure.

I did the same as you and this is what I found.

Neuner, Johann I Violin and lute maker and publisher in Mittenwald. Father to Mathäus Neuner I.Johann Neuner I was one of the founders of Neuner & Co. and may have been the first instrument maker in the Neuner family. Johann Neuner was married to Therese Wittingin who probably came from the Witting family of violin makers although that hasn't been confirmed.

There is also Johann II who was the son of Mathaus. Johann Neuner II succeded his father as the leader of Neuner & Co. and developed its instrument manufacturing department into a leading violin manufacturer. He also brought in Cantius Hornsteiner as a partner and changed the company's name to Neuner & Hornsteiner.

In further research (can't find the site right now) it said that Johann was originally from St Petersburg. The dates are even right as far as when Johann was making violins, even so, I don't ever believe a label in a violin.

I will take it into the shop when it arrives, just to get a good idea if anything needs work.

HERE

Thanks for your time.

++++++++++++++

As I said in other post that one of my relative, an experienced player, (Started out in Youth orchaestra) has such looking violin.

If it was not for its sound he could choose any violin of price up to $25K that was the limit his father allowed him to buy.

Sound of every violin is different. You would know you like it or not, only if you would like to play it for a long time, say six months

on every day base. Many old German violins have that quality. Good luck with your purchase.

I can make you one, I spin, weave and knit for a living. :)

Well heck in that case, I'd rather have a sweater :) , I love a handy woman B)

Regarding the violin, I think you did ok, I'd rather have that then a new China one for the same price. It, on the video, sounds nice, and as long as its structurally sound it seems like an ok dealio'....

DO BE AWARE....of what region this violin is coming from, what the weather may be like at this time "there"{use google} and if the weather from where it is coming from is dramatically different from your region, particularly related to humidity, you may wish to exercise caution by not 'shocking' the violin by, for example, receiving it from a very damp area, to a dry area, then leaving it out of the case without slowly decreasing the humidity, with maybe your heat going, this could open up a crack or split a back.

Good luck, have fun...

Oh ya, I'm a size "large" .....I mean the sweater B):)

:)

Thanks for that info on the weather, I wouldn't have even thought of that.

Hubby says I better make him a sweater this year before anyone else. B) Now that I'm going to be practicing you both may be out of luck. :)

DO BE AWARE....of what region this violin is coming from, what the weather may be like at this time "there"{use google} and if the weather from where it is coming from is dramatically different from your region, particularly related to humidity, you may wish to exercise caution by not 'shocking' the violin by, for example, receiving it from a very damp area, to a dry area, then leaving it out of the case without slowly decreasing the humidity, with maybe your heat going, this could open up a crack or split a back.

Good luck, have fun...

Well heck in that case, I'd rather have a sweater B) , I love a handy woman :)

Regarding the violin, I think you did ok, I'd rather have that then a new China one for the same price. It, on the video, sounds nice, and as long as its structurally sound it seems like an ok dealio'....

Good luck, have fun...

I believe chinese copies have dramatically improved over the last few years. So you might be surprised and get some really good instruments for a somewhat low price.

In fact I believe the Maggini bird eye copy I have could be chinese (but no way to know but the neck slightly thinner than normal could be an indication. Not that it matter to me, on the contrary because that makes playing easier for me). The violin was new when I purchased on e-bay for £250. But the size of the main body was 14inche 3/8 like you would expect it for a copy, the violin seems lighter than normal 4/4, purflings are really finely inlaid (usually bad copies don't pay attention to these details) the fingerboard is absolutely fine even though I was distracted for some time by the mother of pearl inlaid flowers all along (Right curve, real ebony etc...I brought it to a luthier to get a better bridge) and most importantly I was very happy of the sound, especially with obligato strings. My teacher was really impressed (not that it compared with his own one of course) by the ratio Quality/price. I am really happy of it when I compare it with for example the german violin I had before. And I also heard that Jay Haide violin are made in China and however are of the best quality.

Personally, I'd buy locally, where you can play a bunch of violins and know what you're getting. That's especially true in that price range, where the cost of shipping is a large fraction of the price. But it might be fine. The only thing that matters is whether you're happy with it when you get it. I wouldn't count on Paypal to negate your deals for you, though.

HERE

Thanks for your time.

+++++++++++++++++++

Buy a violin without trying it first ?

I would go to a shop and try 10 (pick a number) violins. Bring home two and try for a week.

If I don't like it I return them. Most people buy a violin in this way. To be honest I don't know any better way.

The black varnish of your violin is not that a problem. If the varnish is original, do not do anything to it.

Believe me, it will not be " improved" if you re-varnish it. Once it is done it is done.