Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Last piano manufacturer in England closes

Hi Luis,

Indeed it is sad. As a Brit, I'm particularly concerned that this tradition is now lost.

A year or so ago, I suspected that some late 19thC violin cases had been made by a piano manufacturer so I contacted Broadwood who admitted that they no longer made pianos and had lost their expertise. I recently learned from Bill Watson, bowmaker at Hills for many years, that some of the early casemakers recruited to Hills came from Broadwood. They had the right combination os skills in veneering, hinges, locks etc.

Glenn

Yes, the ability to make those fancy pianos decorated with marquetry was the same used to make fancy cases, I think. I had an LP that was called "The Broadwood Tradition" or something like that with many nice pieces played on Broadwood pianos.

I imagine that once such specialized craft as piano making disappears from a given country it will no longer exists there because it becomes too hard to train again the woodworkers, the engineers, technicians etc. employed in a piano factory.

I am afraid that violin making will start to decline in the free world soon too...

I am afraid that violin making will start to decline in the free world soon too...

I really hope that doesnt happen. I think anyone who is related to string instruments has some good memories from a luthier's shop. I remember the first time I went for a repair, seeing the wood, the tools, the unfinished violins hanging... it just makes it special.

I have not bought a concert quality violin yet, but when I do. I dont want to buy it the same way I buy strings.