varnish retouch book

http://www.artisanviolin.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this book?

It looks interesting, and it's not very expensive, but I'm pretty poor :)

It's also available from Strobel's website.

http://www.henrystrobel.com/booklist.htm

Thanks!

Thanks for that link. I had planned to buy this book (and probably will), but seeing the pictures on this site gives a different impression than I got from the Strobel site.

I'll leave it to the pros to comment or not, but the techniques shown are not what I expected. I still think the book would probably be useful for me, especially considering the reasonable price.

Thanks for that link. I had planned to buy this book (and probably will), but seeing the pictures on this site gives a different impression than I got from the Strobel site.

I'll leave it to the pros to comment or not, but the techniques shown are not what I expected. I still think the book would probably be useful for me, especially considering the reasonable price.

I ordered the book out of curiosity. It has some nice reference material. I found the material on color theory to be well written, as well as the examples of different brush strokes to be nicely presented. However, some of the practices (such as scraping splits to level them, and sanding off previous retouching work down to bare wood to be very heavy handed and avoided.

I noticed this caveat on the web site:

Note: This a professional book. Beginners are advised not to practice on valuable instruments. Care should be taken to avoid unnecessarily removing original varnish, wood, patina or texture. Wear marks on antique instruments should be evaluated for their potential to add value to the instrument before removing.

Mike

I noticed this caveat on the web site:

Note: This a professional book. Beginners are advised not to practice on valuable instruments. Care should be taken to avoid unnecessarily removing original varnish, wood, patina or texture. Wear marks on antique instruments should be evaluated for their potential to add value to the instrument before removing.

Mike

Well why is the author unecessarily removing varnish if this is a professional book. To start off with a crack and remove varnish 1cm ,either side is a totally idiotic way of doing things.

Well why is the author unecessarily removing varnish if this is a professional book. To start off with a crack and remove varnish 1cm ,either side is a totally idiotic way of doing things.

We may have had a similar and pertinent discussion in another thread. Since I don't know of any one infallibe resource for either violin making or repair, my own philosophy is "Take the best and leave the rest."

Upon a quick view of the website, and not having actually seen the seen the book, It looks like it may include some good ideas. That view could change if I read the book.