Maestronet Forums

Stradivari prices

Dwight Brown

I think that in today's market 2 mil is a good starting point and could go much higher depending on the instrument and its provenance. It is also possible that if it is not a great Strad (and they are not all great sounding violins) 2 mil might be a very high price for a collectible.

You don't need to win the lottery to get a Stradivarius. All you have to do is to practice long and well enough to play like Oistrakh, Milstein, Heifetz or one of today's masters, and someone will give you one for free!

I didn't say I deserved one :-) All I would need is a brain, ear, and hand transplant, and talent!

Dwight

You don't need to win the lottery to get a Stradivarius. All you have to do is to practice long and well enough to play like Oistrakh, Milstein, Heifetz or one of today's masters, and someone will give you one for free!

Unfortunately the number of candidates vastly out numbers the quantity of Strads available. Just visit one of the major music schools for a few hours, you will soon see a great number of those who practice long

and well.

I don't think that any of the newer generation of violinists play anything like Heifetz, Milstein, Oistrakh, or for that matter, Elman, Kreisler, Rabin, Morini, Menuhin, and the list goes on and on. The players of that generation let the instrument express the emotion without distracting theatrics and choreography. Having said that, it does not apply to all of the present day violinists, but quite a few, and technically they all play subperbly.

I was under the impression that the Stradivari "Duport" cello at 20 million is the highest price ever paid for a musical instrument period. Is that no longer the case?

I know of no other instrument that has sold that high.

For what it's worth... I can't recall seeing a firm statement from the buyer of the seller concerning the actual sale price of that 'cello. The only published references I saw were just trade speculation.