Sign in to follow this  
Oded Kishony

Maker's Toys

In a previous post a discussion veered to motorcycles, bicycles and other toys.

I've noticed that many of my violin friends seem to like similar things, for instance sailboats and other boats seem to be favored by makers.

Cooking seems to be a favored pastaime too.

What are your favorite non violin related toys or interests?

Oded

"when not playing with violins"

What, exactly, do you mean by this?

Ok, just kidding - this afternoon I was at a chalk art festival, with my daughter in law, (who teaches second grade) on my hands and knees for five hours. At the annual Roswell Jazz Festival.

There were quite a few really good artists there, it was a blast.

Brewed a batch of beer today - an American Pale Ale (think Sierra Nevada). That's my main house beer. I'm just now sampling the first bottle of a stout I brewed about 3 weeks ago - pretty good, if I do say so myself. I also build and fly model airplanes - Control Line (U-control), not radio control. I brought my #1 to the airplane club meeting a couple weeks ago, and they were some impressed. I also write and record my own music (main instrument - guitar, classically trained) when time allows. Oh, and I also have a full-time job, plus married with 3 kids. I don't have much time for sleeping... :)

As for my own 'toys' I own a Paceship PY 26. It's a cruising sailboat with a small diesel auxiliary engine, sleeps 5. My wife and I sail it on the Chesapeake from Urbanna Va.

I like to ride my daughter's Honda Rebel motorcycle. It's serious fun.

I used to commute by bicycle from Queens to Manhattan every day (abut 15 miles) on an 'English racer' (Raleigh ) then, after it was stolen, a Japanese (Fuji) bike. I still own a bike but don't ride it all that often.

I really like to cook and bake. Very eclectic. East European, many Italian dishes, some Asian dishes, French, Spanish etc. I especially enjoy grilling lately. I grilled really fresh Salmon steaks last night served with roasted veggies with roasted garlic, and an Apple Gallette (from Julia Child's bake book). 'Barefoot' Pinot Grigio wine with the fish.

We heat our house partially with wood and I like to play with my chain saw, although it did bite me a couple of years ago (6 stitches-I was lucky) I own a very nice German hand made wood maul for splitting firewood.

I've always really liked very simple cars. My favorites were my VW beetle '68, my VW Camper van (custom) and a Citroen 2CV Dyan (2 cylinder 600cc :-) we owned when we lived in Italy.

Oded

Ira, I imagined your hobby was bow reharing!!!

Hi Luis, it was great seeing you in N.Y.C.

I need a few hours a week of conducting to get away from the grind of bow rehairing.

How do you get those cats to play in tune?

Actuallly when they are fighiting (territorial disputes) there is much "dischord"

When I'm not in the workshop...

My life is full--one wife, one toddler, one on the way, one dog, one turtle...

I love sampling, tasting, and making wine, and someday hope to have a few acres of vines to work with. I think that it must be the French connection--bows and wine.

I used to read, but now seem to only have time to listen to audio-books (in the shop). I also used to have a motorcycle (now sold, but someday again maybe). I love to ride bicycles--both road and mountain, but don't seem to get to ride much these days due to time constraints and the traffic of suburban living.

It was interesting to read in the other thread of the motorcycles as well. I started with a Honda CB650, put a lot of miles on it, then graduated to a BMW R65. Many good road trips from the Seattle area. After kids and increasing age, I traded it away for a modern-made Baroque bow. No real interest in another bike -- getting too cautious in my old age, or have seen too many accidents. Just the other day, saw a fellow slide along the freeway, leaving skin and meat along the road surface. Didn't seem much fun, to me.

I have a shop manager with del Gesu eyes.

post-24063-1255223193_thumb.jpg

Current fun -- cooking food, drinking wine, hiking (usually taking food and wine along). Raise a few table grapes and garden vegetables, herbs.

Nice thread Oded!

One of my passions is cricket I was in my school team but I just watch now because part of the game is breaking fingers.

I Do like to cook and find that a very significant amount of violin makers are really great cooks.

I like to hunt and fish but all for food only. Grow vegetables too.

I always stayed clear of Motor bikes but am a petrol head and refuse to own a car that can't hit 60mph in below 6 seconds. I don't much like the obvious choices...Currently my Abbott Racing tuned Saab takes care of that

(I work from home and my wifes deisel Toyota does all the long miles)

Motorcycle touring on my '86 GoldWing, water skiing and tubing with my 16' trihull boat, jet ski (we live on a small lake), my favorite playmates are my grandchildren, two of them learned their first word as "grampa".

Scott

I have a history with fishing. I used to go fishing all the time. Virginia is a beautiful place to fish with many wild streams and native trout as well as small mouth, large mouth bass, walleye etc.

I started out spincasting with a treble hook, but I hated what it did to the fish which I always released. I then bent the barbs flat, then I switched to single barbless hook.

I switched to fly fishing.

Gadgets galore!

But I still hated injuring the fish so I finally graduated to fishing with a fly and no hook.

Still get to go out occasionally on some of the most beautiful streams in the world with my fishing buddy who has accepted my nuttiness.

Sailing has slowly taken over fishing.

Oded

Fishing, fly-tying, mushroom collecting, gardening, wife, dog (not necessarily in that order!) I also manage to play bass in a band most Friday evenings.

Easy to see why I don't get much time to build instruments, except maybe in the winter months. I feel pretty guilty about that one, but I just gotta' be me...