Sign in to follow this  
Tim McTigue

Important thing happening in Toronto

Read this in the Toronto Star today, and felt it would be of interest to this community. There's a cool video highlighting one of the luthiers in the shop where restorations are being made on several valuable instruments, the use of which, for 3 years, is soon to be won by several young and promising musicians. Pretty cool stuff! The luthier in the video restored a 1715 Montagnana violin.

Toronto Star article on Canada Council's triennial contest

Thanks, Andres! Those images can be found linked from this page.

I've heard Kerry DuWors play the 1747 Palmason Januarius Gagliano violin a number of times. They are a fantastic match. What a great sound they make together. Does this mean she has to give it back this year?

Its great to see Tim working on the Baumgartner Strad.I had use of that instrument for six weeks back in my university days.It had not been played for quite a while when I got it but it opened up very quickly.The value back in 1986 was $600000 CDN,or so the owner claimed.Its now $4000000? What a solid investment!

Rseveral valuable instruments, the use of which, for 3 years, is soon to be won by several young and promising musicians..........

John Simmers had an interesting thought this summer at Oberlin. If a program such as this will allow the use of an important instrument by a player...why not a maker?

Joe

John Simmers had an interesting thought this summer at Oberlin. If a program such as this will allow the use of an important instrument by a player...why not a maker?

Joe

What a wonderful idea! :)

Do you think that the insurance companies would charge the same rate, or would it be higher since it will be in many hands. :)

Perhaps the rate will be lower since it will be in good hands, ie. repairer hands.

It's not like you see repairers/makers leaving violins in taxi's everyday! Besides I don't think cabbies would enjoy a concert as a reward from a maker!