Sign in to follow this  
Fellow

Sitka, Engelman Or Something Else?

The string was designed to reduce a specific string motion which is largely responsible for whistling. Otherwise, it behaves rather normally in my limited tests.

Is it possible that whistling is caused by the player's bowing technique? Or is a whistling E string always due to some intrinsic factor or quirk of the string itself?

E string whistle has been discussed a lot. A search should turn up a lot of threads. Some violins are more prone to the problem than others. Bridge and sound post set up can contribute to the problem. Gold plated E strings are notorious for making it worse. A wound E will cure it and the Kaplan Solutions E is especially designed to cure it. Bowing technique can overcome it somewhat but a real cure takes attention to the set up.

Is it possible that whistling is caused by the player's bowing technique? Or is a whistling E string always due to some intrinsic factor or quirk of the string itself?

There can be several contributing factors: bowing techinque; the condition of the string...whether is is "false" or not; inherent qualities of the violin; the setup. One very common cause is that a finger stopping another string will be slightly touching the E, when going rapidly from notes played on the A string to the open E, or in chords using the open E.

I can make any E whistle, including the Kaplan. Eliciting the worst from a violin is something you learn to do as an aid in diagnosing problems. :)

There can be several contributing factors: bowing techinque; the condition of the string...whether is is "false" or not; inherent qualities of the violin; the setup. One very common cause is that a finger stopping another string will be slightly touching the E, when going rapidly from notes played on the A string to the open E, or in chords using the open E.

Thanks, David. My main instrument is baroque cello, and boy, if my bowing technique is "off" on the unwound gut A string, it's not a pretty sound. (I know this is somewhat off-topic, but then again, so are garlic presses. :) )

Hi Fellow,

I think that perhaps your photographs should be reduced further in size because Maestronet cuts off the download before we can finish downloading the file. Maybe the files should not be not more than 300-400 KB. You can obtain this by compressing it more if you're using JPEG format.

Bruce

++++++++++++++++

I hope this pic now is not too big nor too small. :) at long last.

PS. I bought the e-string from my local shop. It should be an e-string. Kaplan something. ( I did not make it up) :)

Sorry about the garlic press. I don't have a nutcracker. I don't have nuts in the house. :)

Whistling, not me.

post-5682-1253212403_thumb.jpg