Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Good bow spinnners needed

Does anyone make good replacement bow spinners? I have an American Case Company Continental case that I like just fine, but the bow spinners do not keep the bow where it belongs. I would happily pay $25 bucks each for good spinners that would keep the bow in place. I would like to keep the $5000 bow from bashing into the top of the $20,000 violin. Lets face it, my equipment is chicken feed compared to many. The spinners on my case cannot be tightened, but they can be replaced. I guess I will have to go back to using a rubber band to tighten up the spinners. Seems like a better product should be available.

Thanks,

politely

Dwight

And yes, I have written to the case company to politely tell them about this and other problems

I have never seen a spinner that could not be tightened, somehow. If you can unscrew the spinner from the case, and take a picture of the underside and top, or at least describe the inside, I could advise a repair you can execute.

I have never seen a spinner that could not be tightened, somehow. If you can unscrew the spinner from the case, and take a picture of the underside and top, or at least describe the inside, I could advise a repair you can execute.

Y took this one off the case and the inside looks a bit like a paper toggle. It looks like you could take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend them back a bit, but this one is a no-go, I would really like one made out of smooth aluminum with a ball detent so it clicks every 90 degrees. Our bows and instruments are so valuable that skimping is really foolish. I bet there are bunches of people with $100,000 riding in the top of their case.

Thanks,

DLB

Y took this one off the case and the inside looks a bit like a paper toggle. It looks like you could take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend them back a bit, but this one is a no-go, I would really like one made out of smooth aluminum with a ball detent so it clicks every 90 degrees. Our bows and instruments are so valuable that skimping is really foolish. I bet there are bunches of people with $100,000 riding in the top of their case.

Thanks,

DLB

You can always use a separate bow case. I wonder whether any of the multimillion dollar instrument owners use separate bow cases. And how are the bow spinners in the really luxurious cases, I wonder. As for me, I'm in your neighborhood equipmentwise and I trust the bow spinners plus the blanket covering the instrument. In 20 years there has been no damage from bows banging on instruments.

There is no disagreement that spinners are not well engineered. I find fault in design and function of all of them, but non-functioning ones can be rendered incremental or stationary once again. If you want new regardless, then you want new.

You can always use a separate bow case. I wonder whether any of the multimillion dollar instrument owners use separate bow cases.

This is a great idea. Then we will have twice as many stories to read about in the papers, where a big name player leaves his prized Stradivari, or Tourte in a taxi. :)

I have a bad spinner in a cheap case. I've worked on it but it's not really repairable because the plastic is worn. It has 90 degree detents in the plastic which is a bad design. No detents and held in place by plain friction with a screw that can be tightened is a better design. The reasonable solution is to buy replacements from a web source. Of course you could make some cool looking ones from hardwood. :)

Does anyone make good replacement bow spinners? I have an American Case Company Continental case that I like just fine, but the bow spinners do not keep the bow where it belongs. I would happily pay $25 bucks each for good spinners that would keep the bow in place. I would like to keep the $5000 bow from bashing into the top of the $20,000 violin. Lets face it, my equipment is chicken feed compared to many. The spinners on my case cannot be tightened, but they can be replaced. I guess I will have to go back to using a rubber band to tighten up the spinners. Seems like a better product should be available.

Thanks,

politely

Dwight

And yes, I have written to the case company to politely tell them about this and other problems

Hmmmm. How valuable do the violin and bow have to be to merit a Musafia or Negri case?

Negri has some thoughtfully designed cases with the compartment at the right hand end so the if the frog falls, it can't damage the violin.

Glenn

Hmmmm. How valuable do the violin and bow have to be to merit a Musafia or Negri case?

Negri has some thoughtfully designed cases with the compartment at the right hand end so the if the frog falls, it can't damage the violin.

Glenn

I ordered a Musafia and it did not fit my violin at all! really strange situation in that the problem was in length. I was a bit underwelmed by the workmanship as well. This was not one of their top of the line cases though. I may look at BAM.

Dwight

I ordered a Musafia and it did not fit my violin at all! really strange situation in that the problem was in length. I was a bit underwelmed by the workmanship as well. This was not one of their top of the line cases though. I may look at BAM.

Dwight

Dwight, I've heard good reports about BAM and admire their styling but I mentioned Musafia and Negri for a particular reason. We love to a attach the name of a person to our bows and fiddles (Tourte, Sartory, Bergonzi, Gemunder) and yet the case usually remains anon. Luis Negri and Dimitri Musafia have staked their personal reputations on their products and would strive to make you happy with one of their creations. They are passionate about cases and are constantly fretting about improving them. Negri's discovery of the einschlagmutter to attach the handles passed unnoticed by most people but was so neat a solution to the problem of handle replacement that Musafia adopted it also.

I just think that cases get a bum rap. They are expected to provide protection from crashes, floods and anything else the environment can throw at them and yet no one wants to spend more than a few bucks on them. (I'm not getting at you, just thinking out loud).

Glenn

The Bam "Trekking" case has an attached bow case on the outside of the instrument case, which would certainly solve your problem with bo storage. Unfortunately the case itself leaves something to be desired (no suspension).

Most cases are pretty badly designed for bows. I don't understand why the accessory compartment is ever on the left side.

Also, if you notice, in most cases the tip is free to hit the end of the case. Thus, the bow has little protection against being dropped on that end.

Some recent Musafia cases have the bows angled rather than parallel to the long axis of the case. Seems like a good idea; keeps the tips from slaming into the wall of the case shold it strike against something. A simple idea, but effective. I'm surprised no one has tought of it before (so far as I'm aware).

As to fiddle/case cost ratios, I must have the winner; my Musafia case cost about twice what I paid for the violin. (Though it must be said that I've used the case for pricier fiddles as well. But it makes sense to me to extend the maximum protection available if taking a violin into a hostile environment. Any environment outside my home is hostile to some extent).

I hate to carry Musafia's water, but they have a new model ("Momentum") that has the compartment on the right, and bow tip cushions. It's also light. And for a Musafia it's actually fairly cheap. I didn't know about the new model when I posted my previous message.

I suppose this doesn't help if you just want bow spinners :) .

I have a Musafia Master series case. The Bow spinners are spring loaded with 90 degree detents. My case is about 13 years old and I have no complaints about the bow spinners. The bow ribbons tend to come off and sag in high humidity, but this case has been absolutely amazing. I used to buy a new case every three or four years. (I will admit that i didn't pay half what they ask for a master series though - I was lucky!)

My favorite system for holding bows in place were the snap-in holders in the Jaeger cases. I think it should be an option in new cases, much like 'loop' end or 'ball' end is for strings.

OK, as long as it's "Musafia, Musafia, Musafia", in this thread, you could see if they will sell you spinners. They do sell parts, and you could ask them if they think they would fit your case.

Howard Core Company list replacement parts, including bow spinners, for Gewa and Jaeger cases. Most US violin shops will order from them.

All of the cases I see listed in both product lines show the same part number for the bow spinner. They call it a "bow holder" and the Gewa and Jaeger replacement parts diagrams show it is number 396.523. The Core item # is GW396523.

These are high quality cases, but I have no personal experience with them.