Sign in to follow this  
Johnmasters

Personal Profiles

I put some info in my personal profile. If anyone wants more, I am glad to add it.

Would the rest of you feel uncomfortable with writing a generous profile along with emails and other pertinent info?

It would be nice to know who is on the forum, their main interests and backgrounds.

Many people know each other, but I am out of the loop. Perhaps others are also.

I agree that an open profile as well as a real name has a value in promoting collegiality and in tempering harmful words. The problem is though that the internet (and with good reason) promotes a fear of divulging personal information. There is also, awareness that anonymity increases the freedom to react more harshly to comments (rudeness) with little retribution or harm to that same person’s true identity. The same phenomena we see when people drive their cars in a freeway.

In this forum there also exists anonymous posters who have had a bad experience and want to start with a clean slate.

I have listed some information and I would prefer to share more but I have a sense of what amount is safe and I stick to that.

I put some info in my personal profile. If anyone wants more, I am glad to add it.

Would the rest of you feel uncomfortable with writing a generous profile along with emails and other pertinent info?

It would be nice to know who is on the forum, their main interests and backgrounds.

Many people know each other, but I am out of the loop. Perhaps others are also.

Information on who the posters are is nice. I do not think it is wise to give out your e-mail address in your profile, though. I am not quite sure if guests can read the profile. But if they can e-mail addresses can be abused for spam or other criminal acts.

My profile is fairly descriptive. I've updated my personal photo and have a picture of my lair with the computer. With the private message capability on the Maestronet forums, the e-mail address seems unnecessary. I need to add a short sample MP3.

Maestronet or not, the web has this continuously evolving culture of both anonymity and publicity, personal and communal; the key here is balance. I'll share some things upfront but not other things, others may choose differently. Many people may omit certain details from their profiles solely to ease their conscience for malicious behavior, but I'm not one of those people. I pride myself on being a nice guy and I'm always glad to open up to others who've earned my trust and respect. Outside of that, in the context of a profile on a publicly accessible website, my profile has as much info as I care for it to have and it will stay that way.

My profile is fairly descriptive. I've updated my personal photo and have a picture of my lair with the computer. With the private message capability on the Maestronet forums, the e-mail address seems unnecessary. I need to add a short sample MP3.

I checked it out and you look like a nice enough guy, oldgeezer.

But, when I was a teen ager, we had a motto;

"Don't trust anyone over thirty."

When I turned thirty, I changed it to;

"Don't trust anyone over fifty."

Now that I'm 54, it is;

"Don't trust anyone over seventy."

Words to live by.

So, there you go.

I like this, John, I'll try to get a photo of myself up in my bio later today. I always find myself thinking differently about posting to someone, when I have some idea about what they look like. No, I don't believe that a photo is mandatory - just interesting

Funny, isn't it?

Interesting to see and read. I am not using a photo of myself because I am afraid that it can be abused. A photo that is not like a passport photo and cannot be used for indentity frauds may be safer to use.

It certainly is nicer to know how persons look when you communicate.

Some of us are more introverted than others. The introverts may want not to reveal too much of the personal information while the extroverts may share more than necessary..

I've had some profile info up for quite some time. So far, I have not been indentifiably violated.

:) I've had both my email address and a photo on the web for a while, and yes; the amount of people pretending to be me, and writing me annoying emails has been disappointingly small so far. Come on, no-one willing to abuse my photo just a little bit? A few freaky e-mails?

That creates very disturbing imagery... :)

guffaw!

I've got to quit this, before I get Das Boot.

If you leave me to my own devices, with my twisted sense of humor, I'll get myself in trouble on a thread like this...

Later, when I (hopefully) post a photo - I promise to behave.

Just as an aside, some lists require that you identify who you are, before you're allowed to post. Orchestralist requires a signature block; there are a lot of eminent people on there, and the members have a hissy fit if you don't put a sig block on your posts. The AMS list (American Musicological Society), which is an old-fashioned listserv, prescribes that you post in non-graphic manner only, and identify who you are. You will receive snooty little notes to that affect, until you conform. The IAWM (International Alliance for Women in Music) expects that, too, and will say so, though they're extremely nice about it.

My sense is that, the more valuable the list professionally, the more the managers expect you to conform to their requirements, though certainly Pegbox is an exception.

Now that I'm 54, it is;

Words to live by.

So, there you go.

I like this, John, I'll try to get a photo of myself up in my bio later today. I always find myself thinking differently about posting to someone, when I have some idea about what they look like. No, I don't believe that a photo is mandatory - just interesting

Funny, isn't it?

LOL ! Yes, and I myself need a photo. I spent all this money on a nice camera and hardly ever use it except for documenting shop things. Today, my smaller boy, 10, was all set up in his football regalia so I took some pix of my boys. The other will be 14 in November.

post-6797-1251141150_thumb.jpg

post-6797-1251141113_thumb.jpg

Guest erich_zann
My sense is that, the more valuable the list professionally, the more the managers expect you to conform to their requirements, though certainly Pegbox is an exception.

.....and yet Maetronet lets you post.

Really, what's a snoot like you slumming in The Pegbox anyway ???

E.

LOL ! Yes, and I myself need a photo. I spent all this money on a nice camera and hardly ever use it except for documenting shop things. Today, my smaller boy, 10, was all set up in his football regalia so I took some pix of my boys. The other will be 14 in November.

Are you kidding me? Those handsome young men are yours?

Congratulations John, I'll try to get a couple photos of my grandkids up. It all depends on whether or not I can get them to stand still long enough.

Congratulations John, I'll try to get a couple photos of my grandkids up. It all depends on whether or not I can get them to stand still long enough.

Ok, here are the first two of seven. The only two around today. (the day is still young...)

Krysten Grace, 4, messing around by my workbench - and Freddy James (a.k.a. Speck), 2 yesterday, messin wit my electric cable box...

post-3950-1251142660_thumb.jpg

post-3950-1251142678_thumb.jpg

Now that I'm 54, it is;

Words to live by.

So, there you go.

CT I find it easer to just switch over with under. Now that I am 51 I don't trust anyone under 50. :) And when you turn 70, it is perfectly fine to say "I don't trust anyone".

I didn't see those kids...very handsome indeed!

Are you kidding me? Those handsome young men are yours?

Yes, amazing isn't it? Considering I am not nearly so beautiful and am the "Old Geezer #2".

Ok, here are the first two of seven. The only two around today. (the day is still young...)

Krysten Grace, 4, messing around by my workbench - and Freddy James (a.k.a. Speck), 2 yesterday, messin wit my electric cable box...

Cute little bastards... that is figurative, of course. Nice being a Grandpa? less work....

Cute little bastards... that is figurative, of course. Nice being a Grandpa? less work....

If I knew having grandkids was so much fun, I would have skipped the kids and gone straight to grandkids...

OK, wait a minuite...