Maestronet Forums

Just as I thought I saw it all

welshman

Perhaps now I will see Elephants fly - or maybe the Cleveland Browns actually score a touchdown (let alone win a game),

I thought I saw all the possible stange things done to a violin in the name of repair - pencils used as soundpost, elmer's glue, scotch tape - but I have to add two new ones.

A violin came in with the fingerboard "attached" with silicone sealent, luckily very easy to get off. And just for a challenge a parent arrived with a VSO from China, one of the bottom of the barrel wonders, "Look at this bargin i found!" Well for double of what he paid for it he has a throwaway violin to take back and forth on the school bus and leave the good one at home. In the process of saving it and making it playable I discovered another first for me - the fingerboard was a thickly coated lump of course but under that layer of lacquar was a piece of bamboo. I have seen mahagony and other soft woods but bamboo was a first. It actually shaped, smoothed and dyed up very nicely. I will be interested to see how well it holds up to playing. We may have a renewable source of fingerboard stock for the future.

Reese

I wonder if this is the same bamboo laminate I am seeing in some recent cheap flooring...

I dont know how they do it - but it looks like it was pressed flat and mixed with a resin under pressure.

It seems very solid and very hard in the flooring I was looking at. Perhaps this will be an improvement over the plastic coated crap I've seen in the past used on some of the $100 models.

I'll bet you haven't seen this. A farmer friend gave me a fiddle to fix. The fiddle had been in the attic for years and years - in the case. When I took the top off I found a mud wasp's nest about 1x3 inches. I have pictures but can't seem to load them into this message.

Bamboo is about 1050 1100 on the janka ball test, it is about as hard as red oak, it is cut into strips and is sold in two variety's primaily, one is referred to as vertical the other horizontal, depending on how the wood is stacked. Once cut into strips its glued together with urea formaldehyde glue to form a permanent bond.It comes in "natural" which is maple colored or carbonized which is a darker honey color, it generally runs about 4.50 a sq ft up to 7 a ft. Not really cheap.

And yes I have a "bamboolin" in the works, constructed out of flooring material, I'm hoping it sound like a flute :)

This is still my favourite. Is this what they call an "invisible repair"?

bow.jpg

If you are visually impaired I guess it might count as invisible - but not to your guide dog.

I have to say the workmanship on that bow reminds me very much of a Mills aero engine I had when I was in high school and flew control line planes (wish I still had it) the crank case had broken and it had been repaired with coathanger wire and araldite. Amazingly, it worked fine. I wonder if that bow was owned by a model plane enthusiast...

Regards,

Tim

post-28770-1250819759_thumb.jpgpost-28770-1250819702_thumb.jpg

OK. Thanks to catnip and Tim McTigue I think I have this uploading figured out. These photos show the wasp nest inside the violin. Notice also there are no corner blocks in the upper bouts and the bass bar is carved out of the plate.

After looking at the construction of that violin, I think that its being the host for a wasp's nest is the best possible use for that instrument.

OK. Thanks to catnip and Tim McTigue I think I have this uploading figured out. These photos show the wasp nest inside the violin. Notice also there are no corner blocks in the upper bouts and the bass bar is carved out of the plate.

Very nice.

Totally outside the subject matter, I had a visitor to the outside shop today, I put down a quarter so you could see his size.

Here, in Roswell, there have been quite a few fiddles with rattlesnake rattles inside - with instructions not to remove them, because they add extra sparkle to the tone...

post-3950-1250833313_thumb.jpg

post-3950-1250833325_thumb.jpg

What kind of Scorpion is that? I've never seen one with that kind of "tail."

They are harmless even though they look fairly ferocious.

It's a whip scorpion or a vinegaroon. They are really docile, and I always leave them be as they rid the area of many other pests that I dislike...

Pretty cool.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...&aqi=g-p1g9

Very nice.

Totally outside the subject matter, I had a visitor to the outside shop today, I put down a quarter so you could see his size.

Here, in Roswell, there have been quite a few fiddles with rattlesnake rattles inside - with instructions not to remove them, because they add extra sparkle to the tone...

My fiddle teacher tells me rattlers were used by old time fiddlers to keep the evil spirits away and also to maintain proper humidity in the fiddle.

Perhaps now I will see Elephants fly - or maybe the Cleveland Browns actually score a touchdown (let alone win a game),

I thought I saw all the possible stange things done to a violin in the name of repair - pencils used as soundpost, elmer's glue, scotch tape - but I have to add two new ones.

A violin came in with the fingerboard "attached" with silicone sealent, luckily very easy to get off. And just for a challenge a parent arrived with a VSO from China, one of the bottom of the barrel wonders, "Look at this bargin i found!" Well for double of what he paid for it he has a throwaway violin to take back and forth on the school bus and leave the good one at home. In the process of saving it and making it playable I discovered another first for me - the fingerboard was a thickly coated lump of course but under that layer of lacquar was a piece of bamboo. I have seen mahagony and other soft woods but bamboo was a first. It actually shaped, smoothed and dyed up very nicely. I will be interested to see how well it holds up to playing. We may have a renewable source of fingerboard stock for the future.

Reese

Did you have any trouble getting glue to stick where the silicone used to be?

• 1 month later...