Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Tullia D"Aragona, my latest 16 inches viola

Thanks!

C.B., the figure in the slab cut maple (at least on this one) is rather faint, I enphasized it applying strong tea with a small brush many times over the faint curls to make them more visible. They were also enhanced with my ground, and by the good photos of my friend Andrès Lepage.

Hi Luis,

Maybe I used the wrong word (spalting), but I was referring to the random dark lines in the wood. My stock shows alot of this and I had worried that it might be unfavorable. It looks fantastic on your viola.

post-1095-1248196589_thumb.jpg

Ciao Maestro.

Wood, varnish, grace, curve, shape, emotion...... an instrument deserving its name. (Tullia in antique etrurian language was meaning summer rainstorm).

E' Bellissima!

Thanks!

C.B., the figure in the slab cut maple (at least on this one) is rather faint, I enphasized it applying strong tea with a small brush many times over the faint curls to make them more visible. They were also enhanced with my ground, and by the good photos of my friend Andrès Lepage.

Did you use tea on the spruce also? Or any other variation?

Thanks!

Guy, I'm planning a trip to NYC and perhaps you will meet some of my Courtesans there!!!

Thanks Mauricio! Yes, I'll give some work to fakers... you would like to play one of these 16 inches violas, the same sound of the 17 inches ones you played here. When will you visit SP again?

Thanks Ed! We will meet someday! In the meantime if you visit NYC you can see them in person.

C.B., if your wood has those lines try to make your varnish rather dark.

Grazie Atomino! Non sapevo l'origine della origine dell nome "Tullia", non sapevo che era un nome Etrusco, una cultura veramente straordinaria e poco conosciutta.

Hi John! Yes, very strog tea with 4% sodium nitrite, but you can do that with tea only perhaps.

Ciao Manfio.

One more question. In the lower back the different colour uneven stripe is a "pouch" between the growth rings that you filled someway or what else? I'm asking because it happened to me to find something similar in the cello back I'm working on

019CaesarFondovacuolo.jpg

and I was guessing how to repair it.

Ciao Atomino!

The stain appeared while I was carving the back... it's a thin dark stain in the form of a "film" over the wood, so there is no structural problems, I tried to bleach it, it got lighter, but eventually the wood around it bleached too, highlighting the stain... Next time I'll do as Rocca did, I will leave it untouched.

The stain in your wood looks like fungus (fungato) to me, don't worry, it will disappear under the varnish. You may perhaps give some strong tea to make the whole back darker too.

Ciao!

Ciao Atomino!

The stain appeared while I was carving the back... it's a thin dark stain in the form of a "film" over the wood, so there is no structural problems, I tried to bleach it, it got lighter, but eventually the wood around it bleached too, highlighting the stain... Next time I'll do as Rocca did, I will leave it untouched.

Wise choice :) , those "beauty marks" are always being distinctive and, for me, will always be very attractive.

The stain in your wood looks like fungus (fungato) to me, don't worry, it will disappear under the varnish. You may perhaps give some strong tea to make the whole back darker too. Ciao!

Unfortunately is not a fungal stain. It is a gap between two layers of the growing rings. If I go on scraping the depression would widen. I'll try to fill it with glue and maple dust and cross my fingers. Varnish should cover the signs.

Thanks

If there is air betwen the two layers perhaps you could injet hide glue with a surgical syringe with a medium needle...

Well I'll give this good idea a try as soon as the inside is carved.

Grazie Mille Maestro.

You can also make a small cut over the problematic region and apply some glue over it, than rub the glue and press the region so that it will "suck" the glue.

Non so se sono degno dell titolo di "Maestro", in ogni modo grazie tante!!!

....Non so se sono degno dell titolo di "Maestro", in ogni modo grazie tante!!!

Pictures in this post (as well as in others), and the knowledge you share, they tell with no doubts you are fully entitled .