Maestronet Forums

A Small Problem Becomes Big

Fellow

Hi all,

I am working to glue back a violin neck. It is because the previous repairman did not clean up the old glue

and glued the neck back on top of of old glue (on an uneven surface) that making the neck out of place. Cleaning up old glue of a loosened neck was a small problem.

By skiping such a small job he left a big mess for other people later.

Why there is such a repairman ? Pull the neck back out (to re-do it) is like to open a can of worms.

Hi all,

I am working to glue back a violin neck. It is because the previous repairman did not clean up the old glue

and glued the neck back on top of of old glue (on an uneven surface) that making the neck out of place. Cleaning up old glue of a loosened neck was a small problem.

Why there is such a repairman ? Pull the neck back out (to re-do it) is like to open a can of worms.

Perhaps it was the repairman - perhaps he ws simply working with the usual poor job from the factory, and the customer didn't want to have have to pay more than the violin originally cost, to have the repair done correctly. Usually, an uneven surface in the mortice indicates an improper fit from the factory as there was not a possibility that non-mating surfaces were done correctly from the start.

They (the factory) will often leave a gap between the body (the mortice) and the neck, fill it with glue and put the thing in a jig that will hold the neck in the "correct position" until it dries..

This is pretty common with some factories - with violins, cellos, and basses.

Ah Fellow,

welcome to the world of violin repair, previous work like you have encountered is the bane of our existance. It shows up all to often and many the day I would like to find that person and break their fingers so they can not do it again. It does help to make the house payment .

Reese

Hi all,

There are very few people with the talent, skill and knowledge required to make truly proper violin repairs. When a fine old violin undergoes a restoration, the biggest challenge is redoing all the previous incompetently made repairs.

It is possible that someone in the future, with higher standards than yours, will look at the repair you just made and shake his/her head.

Sometimes I suspect that kids try to repair their violins when they break, so that their parents won't find out that it was damaged... but they trash the instrument without intending to. There are also other handy people who quickly discover that they aren't so handy after all when 1/4" plywood blocks don't work so well after being nailed in.

"A Small Problem Becomes Big, Should Always Consult A Qualified Technician"

Which is why I offered to help you put it back in. So, given the above advice you give, why did you decide to do it yourself without help?

Yes Yuen, we are all utterly befuddled as to why you turned down such a generous and interesting offer from someone competent. In fact, the very idea of such an unlikely meeting was anticipated by everyone. Why you have let down the ones to which you frequently turn. It may be too late too. If I was Stradofear, I might tell you to use PVA and screws at this point.

Yes Yuen, we are all utterly befuddled as to why you turned down such a generous and interesting offer from someone competent. In fact, the very idea of such an unlikely meeting was anticipated by everyone. Why you have let down the ones to which you frequently turn. It may be too late too. If I was Stradofear, I might tell you to use PVA and screws at this point.

++++++++++++++

I am trying to learn enough to take care of my own violins (6 or 7 in number).

Right now I am going to reset the neck of this violin to a proper degree of angle. I guess

I pretty much getting it. I am happy. Sradofear of course, very competent as a good luthier,

one of the best. What I need is to experiment various wood working ideas myself. Using my hands is

my goal. That way I would know what I can do and what I am unable to do.

Thank you.

"I am trying to learn enough to take care of my own violins (6 or 7 in number).

Right now I am going to reset the neck of this violin to a proper degree of angle. I guess

I pretty much getting it.....What I need is to experiment various wood working ideas myself. Using my hands is

Thank you."

Yuen,

We recall your post #21 from your previous thread:

"have not glued the neck back yet. However, I do not expect any trouble.

What measurement? No, I do not use them.

I will use my eyes to check the neck angle. ...."

If you do not follow the advice you seek and ignore published standard dimensions, you really can't learn how to maintain your own instruments properly.

We will await photos showing final bridge height, string clearance, overstand, etc.

I honestly hope the best for your endeavors but, if you want acceptable results, you will have to learn from your mistakes and make appropriate changes like the rest of us.

This is not meant to be 'preachy' as we all have a lot to learn, that's for certain.

Good luck!

Jimbow

Yuen,

We recall your post #21 from your previous thread:

"have not glued the neck back yet. However, I do not expect any trouble.

What measurement? No, I do not use them.

I will use my eyes to check the neck angle. ...."

If you do not follow the advice you seek and ignore published standard dimensions, you really can't learn how to maintain your own instruments properly.

We will await photos showing final bridge height, string clearance, overstand, etc.

I honestly hope the best for your endeavors but, if you want acceptable results, you will have to learn from your mistakes and make appropriate changes like the rest of us.

This is not meant to be preachy as we all have a lot to learn, that's for certain.

+++++++++++++

Exactly, I want to take picture to show you all. Here are the pic. (finally)

First pic with a wedge while the neck was still intact with sound box body. Only FB was removed.

Second pic. after the neck has been reset (it looks quite good to me, agree? )

I just measured the height. It was 17mm from the highest point of the fingerboard to the belly. Does this make sense (1/2 size violin) ?

(I worry about the angle, not the height which depends on the length of FB ) The hard part of the job was to pull the neck out. I cut both sides

of the neck a bit to free the neck. Of course, one can plane the FB a bit but it looks aweful too.

post-5682-1247945417_thumb.jpg

post-5682-1247945494_thumb.jpg

I just measured the height. It was 17mm from the highest point of the fingerboard to the belly. Does this make sense (1/2 size violin?)

No. The measurement that you should be checking is not the height of the end of the fingerboard above the top. Instead, you should check the height of the fingerboard above the top projected to the bridge position -- 24 mm for a half-size violin.

No. The measurement that you should be checking is not the height of the end of the fingerboard above the top. Instead, you should check the height of the fingerboard above the top projected to the bridge position -- 24 mm for a half-size violin.

+++++++++++++

Thank you Mr. Dorsey,

I measured it again. It is 22mm ( acceptable? )

I hope it is okay.

+++++++++++++

Exactly, I want to take picture to show you all. Here are the pic. (finally)

First pic with a wedge while the neck was still intact with sound box body. Only FB was removed.

Second pic. after the neck has been reset (it looks quite good to me, agree? )

I am always fascinated by Fellow's photos - there is so much deep meaning.

In Yuen's photo (attached here - you can tell which is the Holbein, can't you) I am left pondering...

why the pocket watch?

Is it allegorical is some way?

Has he been influenced by Holbein?

Is there a hand behind the curtain that has been cut out by the camera?

I will not sleep tonight.

post-24474-1247950124_thumb.jpg

post-24474-1247950348_thumb.jpg

I am always fascinated by Fellow's photos - there is so much deep meaning.

In the second photo I am left pondering...

why the pocket watch?

Is it allegorical is some way?

Has he been influenced by Holbein?

Is there a hand behind the curtain that has been cut out by the camera?

I will not sleep tonight.

+++++++++++

The pocket watch is a convenient thing showed up in the pic. so I know

the pic was taken last, not before. In fact, you may set the clock to know exactly when.

Have a good night sleep. Everbody can use one. Good night.

I am trying to learn enough to take care of my own violins (6 or 7 in number).

...... What I need is to experiment various wood working ideas myself. Using my hands is

Re: Darnton's offer:

Yuen, haven't people payed a good deal of money to have you teach them mathematics? What would you think if you had offered to teach them for free, and they said, "No thanks, I'd rather learn on my own"?

If learning on their own was a good way, do you have any regrets about taking their money to teach them, rather than suggesting that they learn on their own?

Yuen, haven't people payed a good deal of money to have you teach them mathematics? What would you think if you had offered to teach them for free, and they said, "No thanks, I'd rather learn on my own"?

If learning on their own was a good way, do you have any regrets about taking their money to teach them, rather than suggesting that they learn on their own?

++++++++++

Thank you.

It is a $50 project violin, it is not worth to spend money on it.

Please understand.

I appreciate Stradofear's offer too. I hope he knows. (Be patient with me, it takes time to respond

or to write )

A perfect point.

And please, in the name of all that's holy, get some effing help. We all did. :)