Maestronet Forums

Pahdah Hound

zefir68

Why is Pahdah hound selling "buy it now" violin and bow on eBay as opposed to his usual no reserve auctions?

++++++++++++++++

It is just another way to say " Don't bid too high, you can have it at this price" (= "Buy it now") No nonsense.

Some people like it.

:) Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to speak to the man directly, through an email or a p.m., rather then call him out on a public forum for what seems to be a triffling, non-issue. If you have an issue with his ebay practices, tell him about it. Do you want all of us to get out the pitchforks for you? Or better yet, get off ebay all together.

Look.

Your looking for violins on EBAY!!!!!!!!!

What exactly do you want? :)

:) Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to speak to the man directly, through an email or a p.m., rather then call him out on a public forum for what seems to be a triffling, non-issue. If you have an issue with his ebay practices, tell him about it. Do you want all of us to get out the pitchforks for you? Or better yet, get off ebay all together.

Look.

Your looking for violins on EBAY!!!!!!!!!

What exactly do you want? :)

I don't understand your angry retort. :) I just noticed something that this seller and frequent contributor on eBay practices on this forum is doing differently. His luthier answered my question quite satisfactorily. I, in no way, am questioning this very reputable seller. Looking for violins on eBay I think is quite acceptable and I think many members here dabble in it for one reason or another. Me, I'm just looking in case I find that Strad that I can take apart for $100 or less. B)

Hi folks,

It is rather simple. I don't usually sell much on eBay in July. Last year I sold nothing. I usually go away on vacation in July and sales are usually rather slow in July. I gave a hint at an explanation for the change in format right in the listings.

"July is typically the softest month for violin sales on eBay. The slow season, combined with the poor economy in many parts of the world, makes sales especially slow this year. While I need to get very close to the asking price, I will happily accept any reasonable offer."

I am not sure that the market is currently liquid on eBay for violins. There may be an individual who is serious and looking to buy something good at a competetive price, but there may not be two of them. And it takes two to make an auction. So far, I have sold two things this way within 3 days of listing them. That is much quicker than my usual 10 day auction. And if something doesn't bring a decent offer, I don't have to sell it. I have given away a lot of good violins so far this year. Some sales are good but many just barely make it. I want to keep doing this but I cannot always rely on unreserved auctions to yield decent prices. When the busier season arrives, I will run auction listings again. However, the buy-it-now or best offer seems to be working ok so far. The things I have sold have been at steep discounts but a sale is better than no sale.

I am always happy to see my listings getting noticed here on maestronet. And I am glad when I can discuss them. It never hurts to have several dozen or several hundred violin people know about my eBay listings who might not have noticed otherwise.

Cheers!!!

jesse

I don't understand your angry retort. :) I just noticed something that this seller and frequent contributor on eBay practices on this forum is doing differently. His luthier answered my question quite satisfactorily. I, in no way, am questioning this very reputable seller. Looking for violins on eBay I think is quite acceptable and I think many members here dabble in it for one reason or another. Me, I'm just looking in case I find that Strad that I can take apart for $100 or less. :)

Fair enough.

You would have to admit that the majority of ebay/violin related postings here are negative, or have there origin in some charge of fraud or bamboozlement. Seeing as how PHound is a member and regular contributor here, I simply thought the question might be better directed to him in private.

But hey, no harm no foul. Play on. :)