Sign in to follow this  
Fellow

Music Score for " Home sweet home" ?

Fellow   

Hi all,

I went to a violin student recital on Sunday. I heard among other pieces, one violin solo piece titled "home sweet home".

Its main theme was the well known melody "home sweet home" but with a lot of beautiful variations at beginning and after.

It was quite long too. (6 Min ). Do you happen to know more information (Farmer , Was listed as the composer, my guess he wrote the variation)

Thank you.

MingLoo   
I went to a violin student recital on Sunday. I heard among other pieces, one violin solo piece titled "home sweet home".

Its main theme was the well known melody "home sweet home" but with a lot of beautiful variations at beginning and after.

It was quite long too. Do you happen to know more information (Farmer? , Was listed as the composer, I doubt it is correct)

about the peice, so I can order it on line?

It would help if you knew the composer. I wonder if this is it:

Variations on "Home Sweet Home" by Charles Nicholson. For flute and piano. Published by Pan Verlag

If you have a programme, look at that and see who the arranger is.

Fellow   

It would help if you knew the composer. I wonder if this is it:

Variations on "Home Sweet Home" by Charles Nicholson. For flute and piano. Published by Pan Verlag

If you have a programme, look at that and see who the arranger is.

++++++++++++++++++

Thank you, Mingloo

I went to a couple of music stores in Chicago and tried to buy a copy of it. None was available. They told me

that the publisher was out of business. (so sad)

In Youtube.com I could see a young violinist (8 years old girl ) in Finland played the peiece.

( Farmer arranged it, Bishop was original )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3WdTC0o1h8

Thank you, everyone.

Fellow   
I have sent Fellow a link to download the free sheet music score of "Home Sweet Home" by Sir Henry Bishop, but have not received

acknowledgement of any kind.

+++++++++++++

Thank you, Mr. Rushing.

I am sorry that I did not open the mail until quite late, only a few hours ago. Thank you again.

Fellow   
+++++++++++++

Thank you, Mr. Rushing.

I am sorry that I did not open the mail until quite late, only a few hours ago. Thank you again.

PS. "Home sweet home" has long and short versions. Only the Farmer's edition (6 min long,

with a few beautiful variations) is out of print.

You are welcome. It is the short version, but still a beautiful piece. I have trouble putting the proper feeling into it, and do not play

it very well. I'm sure you will do much better.

Steve R.   
Fellow   

===================

Among many, there is one by Henry Farmer (original by Bishop)

It is inside of a collection of CELEBRATED FANTASIAS ( ten popular folk-songs and airs with variation) Violin and Piano

In youtube.com you will hear the young lady played it.

Thank you, I have not found the music score yet .

Steve R.   

Oops, my links failed I see,

Home, Sweet Home at American Memory

That link will give you the entire list, including ones without violin. Unfortunatly as I looked for a link that would work, I also found that they don't have the Farmer edition. Have you tried sending a note to the poster on YouTube on who the publisher was?

Fellow   
Oops, my links failed I see,

Home, Sweet Home at American Memory

That link will give you the entire list, including ones without violin. Unfortunatly as I looked for a link that would work, I also found that they don't have the Farmer edition. Have you tried sending a note to the poster on YouTube on who the publisher was?

+++++++++++++

Home sweet home by Farmer (Bishop was original)

must be a very popular piece. In youtube.com two young ladies played the same piece. I don't know how many more.

Here is another one player in Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ0qSFlo3eQ...feature=related

So popular ! Yet I cannot find the music score. Many days now.

AmandaM   

I know exactly which piece you mean, I even know what the sheet music looks like -- and like you I've been trying to find a copy. Sheila Nelson in London has it in her library, but I've never seen it anywhere else. However, she has published another excellent Farmer piece, Hope told a Flattering Tale, in her anthology The Romantic Violinist (Boosey & Hawkes).

I've rescued a very old copy of Farmer's violin method book from a library trash pile once, and as I'm guessing the copyright years are over, if you'd be interested I could scan a couple of other "themes with variations" from there and send them to you. There is at least one on Twinkle, twinkle and one on The (Blue?) Bells of Scotland. They don't have piano accompaniments but for a decent pianist it would just be fun to make something up, wouldn't it?

Fellow   
I know exactly which piece you mean, I even know what the sheet music looks like -- and like you I've been trying to find a copy. Sheila Nelson in London has it in her library, but I've never seen it anywhere else. However, she has published another excellent Farmer piece, Hope told a Flattering Tale, in her anthology The Romantic Violinist (Boosey & Hawkes).

I've rescued a very old copy of Farmer's violin method book from a library trash pile once, and as I'm guessing the copyright years are over, if you'd be interested I could scan a couple of other "themes with variations" from there and send them to you. There is at least one on Twinkle, twinkle and one on The (Blue?) Bells of Scotland. They don't have piano accompaniments but for a decent pianist it would just be fun to make something up, wouldn't it?

+++++++++++++++++

Thank you. I am glad you noticed my post and responded.

Just this afternoon I got a call from the library that used inter-library loan to make a copy of the piece.

After many hours of my running from library to library, I finally got hold of one copy. It was by Farmer.

Nice variation, I must say.. Thank you again.

Hi

I know this is an OLD topic but only just came accross it. I have an original  violin part for :--

"Henry Farmer celebrated Violin Solos Book 1" published by Joseph Williams Limited, Great Portland St. London......(Price 2/-    :) )

It contains:--

1. Home Sweet Home     (The subject of the original post and featured in the video)

2. Last Rose of Summer.

3. Blue Bells of Scotland

4. Life let us cherish

5. Hope told a flattering tale

6. The harp that once.

These are all quite nice sets of variations on the titles mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have the piano accompianment for this book or for any of the pieces and have searched for quite some time without success.

Did you manage to obtain a copy?

Nat