Maestronet Forums

Varnishing question about finishing #3

catnip

I have started finishing #3. Here is what was done so far:

Top : sun + sodium nitrite 4% + light yellow alcohol stain + 2 coats of light blonde shellac (#1 lb cut)

Back: sun + sodium nitrite 4% + light yellow alcohol stain + rubbed mastic varnish with tripoli + clear coat

Is it possible to change this golden amber color more towards red brown with just colored varnish?

On #1 and #2 I used a oil pigment glaze of brown oxide which I hand-rubbed to dramatically change the color but it also obscured the grain lines quite a bit. Since both #1 and #2 did not have much grain this did not matter. What is the best way to move the color towards the red brown without hiding the grain? Should I just leave it as a classic golden brown.

Next time on #4 I will start with a reddish brown stain... it will be much simpler

post-24376-1245782292_thumb.jpg

I have started finishing #3. Here is what was done so far:

Top : sun + sodium nitrite 4% + light yellow alcohol stain + 2 coats of light blonde shellac (#1 lb cut)

Back: sun + sodium nitrite 4% + light yellow alcohol stain + rubbed mastic varnish with tripoli + clear coat

Is it possible to change this golden amber color more towards red brown with just colored varnish?

On #1 and #2 I used a oil pigment glaze of brown oxide which I hand-rubbed to dramatically change the color bit it also obscured the grain lines quite a bit. Since both #1 and #2 did not have much grain this did not matter. What is the best way to move the color towards the red brown without hiding the grain? Should I just leave it as a classic golden brown.

Next time on #4 I will start with a reddish brown stain... it will be much simpler

post-24376-1245782292_thumb.jpg

I don't know if I would use the stain, I use madder lake and asphalt which yields beautiful red-brown tones with great clarity.

I don't know if I would use the stain, I use madder lake and asphalt which yields beautiful red-brown tones with great clarity.

I don't think I'd use a brown stain either.

Are these base/ground coats thus far?

Perhaps continue with a standard brown or red-brown oil varnish, from virtually any dealer, tinted with transparent artist oil colors (tube), until you get exactly what color you want.

Two or three coats and you'd be home free.

You already have yellow, so putting a reddish-brown transparent coloring over it would end up as orange-brown. Yellow+red+blue = brown, so you'd need to add red and blue to get brown... then more red to get reddish-brown. In other words, a purple-ish (red-red-blue) coating over the yellow might give you the color you want. Tricky.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, but I tried it and was satisfied with the result: Michelman "resin M" dissolved in MEK or turpentine and added to the amber varnish. That is a high-alizarine content zinc rosinate, very intense, perfectly transparent, and rather purple (at least, when I made it). I added a lot of yellow (which made it brown), then added some more red to make it reddish-brown. The artist's yellow and red I found to be adequately transparent.

Is that yellow stain turmeric ?

I use it with Benzoin for some ground colour sometimes.

The sun or U.V. is best for a ground colour but it takes ages with my black lights.

Since Guadagnini used oil varnish straight onto bare wood, I don't see what harm there is in copying him, if you're doing a Guad.

You could try some violet brown madder lake in your oil varnish over that yellow stain, might look nice.

Anyone tried Myrrh ?

I have some beads of Myrrh sitting in alcohol, for two days now, not much disolving yet.

Burnt Umber is a yellow-brown pigment; Burnt Sienna a red-brown. Perhaps a light coat of clear tinted up with B. Sienna would get you what you want?

Thanks for all the input. I think I will follow Don Noon's suggestion of adding some blue to push it more to the brown rather than orange. I want to stay away from earth pigments since they are extremely opaque and will obscure the grain grain lines. I have done a second coat of red-brwon varnish with a few extra drops of bitumen liquid that I bought from Kamapigments located in Montreal. ( really fast efficient service and a Canadian company ... no UPS surcharges!!