Maestronet Forums

What sort of wood is this?

Magnus Nedregard

Hi folks, anyone know what wood this is? Rather wide rings, on the picture I'd say they're about 7 mm apart on an average. Very evident flames, rather porous, not quite poplar not quite maple :) I'm not any good at this, does someone have a clue?

post-23901-1245764661_thumb.jpg

looks like Ramin to me if not then something similar. It's a light density mahogany type wood.

Shoot, you spotted it! How embarrassing, caught roaming the graveyards at night looking for wood! It was at a full moon too! :)

Well, so far people have suggested, north American maple, slab cut sycamore, chinese maple, flamed anigre, the "takamine maple substitute", po valley poplar, ramin, "some kind of tropical wood", and now also the "Aesculus hippocastanum" from Oslo. Great!

Here are photos I said I'd take. The first one is a piece of Chinese maple and the second image is a zoom up of the first. The third shows the side grain (sorry if that's a wrong term.) It shows the long pores more clearly.

The forth image is a new bridge from Dick, which I think is some kind of Chinese wood. These bridges feel extremely light, and don't really cut nicely, either.

post-23932-1245872833_thumb.jpg

post-23932-1245872863_thumb.jpg

post-23932-1245872878_thumb.jpg

post-23932-1245872900_thumb.jpg

Here are photos I said I'd take. The first one is a piece of Chinese maple and the second image is a zoom up of the first. The third shows the side grain (sorry if that's a wrong term.) It shows the long pores more clearly.

The forth image is a new bridge from Dick, which I think is some kind of Chinese wood. These bridges feel extremely light, and don't really cut nicely, either.

Thanks for those photos Tets! Really interesting to see. It hasn't got those wide grains and exaggeratedly open pores that my sample displays, yet it shares a little bit of that "look" ...the characteristic pore and side grain...

I've come to the conclusion that my sample can't be maple at all, with that wide grain, it must be some really fast-growing tree...

Thank you for your thoughts, but I don't think it is either anigre nor sugar maple... it is actually rather low density wood, and it has almost no smell whatsoever, not more than maple or poplar in any case...

The year rings are very typical of poplar, so my feeling about this is that it is some variety of poplar.

Thank you for your thoughts, but I don't think it is either anigre nor sugar maple... it is actually rather low density wood, and it has almost no smell whatsoever, not more than maple or poplar in any case...

The year rings are very typical of poplar, so my feeling about this is that it is some variety of poplar.

Magnus, Anigre is about the same weight as European Maple,and often lighter than Poplar. Its specific gravity is listed as 0.40 - 0.56.

Hi fiddlecollector,

I thought European maple was heavier / denser than poplar?

Its depends ,the specific gravities vary alot ,much poplar has a high mineral content and the stuff ive had for instrument making is a brown colour with rather wild grain.Not sure what species it is ,Black ?White poplar??? ,its certainly different than the American stuff known as tulipwood which isnt a poplar species but is often called poplar.

Hi folks, anyone know what wood this is? Rather wide rings, on the picture I'd say they're about 7 mm apart on an average. Very evident flames, rather porous, not quite poplar not quite maple :) I'm not any good at this, does someone have a clue?

post-23901-1245764661_thumb.jpg

Hi Magnus,

If the wood has a reddish or pinkish colour it is probably "Meranti" It is a South East Asian tropical wood used for internal joinery. It would be bad for violins.

However if the wood is more straw coloured, it could be sycamore or North American maple. I have some Canadian maple with similar texture and similar growth rings.

Cheers Wolfjk