Maestronet Forums

Cork and Padding for Clamps and Rests

iburkard

I know that there are my different clamp types and uses, so feel free to talk about everything. I do repairs - I have some nice new clamps, but without padding. I am tired of placing cork between the wood and the swiveling tips, so it’s time to quit messing around and make them functional. I’m currently using cheap rough cork, and want something finer. Before doing anything to them, I just wanted to inquire as to what you guys do.

What type and how thick is the padding that you use on your clamps?

Do you use rubber, leather, or some other material?

How did you adhere it?

Did you find that a particular padding/material was awful?

You sound like you want something better, but I am using cork, from sheets of same sold as "gasket material" in hardware stores. I glue it on (over size) to whatever awith multi-purpose household glue (sorry not to be more specific) that advertises to stick to metals as well as porous materials. It comes in different thicknesses and is inexpensive; one sheet/roll will last a long time. I figure if I need to clamp tighter than the cork can protect...perhaps I need to work or a better fit?

What type and how thick is the padding that you use on your clamps?

Do you use rubber, leather, or some other material?

How did you adhere it?

Did you find that a particular padding/material was awful?

1 & 2) Depends on the clamp/pad/duty. Leather, gasket cork, regular cork, neoprene. Occasionally, for specific purposes, I may "face" the cork with self stick plastic sheeting.

3) Depends. Titebond, contact cement, super glue

4) Watch the cork grade. Some is pretty crumbly.

my spool clamps came with gasket cork (black rubber mixed with cork bits). Great resilience and rubberiness, but it leaves black marks from the rubber on white edgework (cleans up with water), so I've been replacing it with real cork.

I use sheet cork, gasket material from DO IT BEST HARDWARE. I use titebond glue on metal and wood pieces. I glue on oversize cork pieces, clamp with clothespin type clamps, and trim the cork to size after the glue dries. I only like the look of cork and I replace felt with cork whenever I encounter felt. I also like tarnished hardware with thin plating.

Scott