Sign in to follow this  
JimMurphy

The 'Swah' and Her Taunting Flames !!!

Hi Melvin,

I think the Del Gesu outline works very well with steep & deep flames.

Hi Ben

I agree.....possibly this is one rare thing that we can just leave to personal taste :)

I count about 19 with wide upside-down flames in Goodkind, which illustrates about half of the known ones. I guess you could extend that to mean there are around 40 with fat, inverted flames--making the Soil not too uncommon in this regard.

I count about 19 with wide upside-down flames in Goodkind, which illustrates about half of the known ones. I guess you could extend that to mean there are around 40 with fat, inverted flames--making the Soil not too uncommon in this regard.

Ooops [and kind of interesting]!

Was that wide [not "fine"] upside-down flame style introduced by Stradivari, or is this another

case where he was influenced by earlier Amati violins ?

Thanks,

Jim

I remember the Barrere Strad very well,having observed and listened to it each week during my lessons.Is there something peculiar about the belly of this instrument ? I heard a certain dealer say the original top was damaged and replaced in the Stradivari workshop? Is this correct?

My training was that the finely flamed maple such as was used in the 1727 Strad is from a domestic, Northern Italian source typically called "Oppio" or field maple in contrast to the boldy, and more broadly flamed Balkan maple which was (and is) much more expensive. The Hill brother's book on Stradivari discusses these issues in more detail if you're interested.

Doug

... the finely flamed maple ... is from a domestic, Northern Italian source typically called "Oppio" or field maple

That's interesting, Doug.

Perhaps the dendro guys have some data on its violin use.

Jim

That's interesting, Doug.

Perhaps the dendro guys have some data on its violin use.

Jim

Many of the old Italian makers used oppio or field maple at least a few times. Look at Guadagnini he seemed to use it more than most.I quite like it as opposed to the Balkan stuff.It has far more character and its a damn good tonewood but not easy to get any longer in decent sizes.

Yu don't need dendro to identify oppio. It is easily identifiable by eye.

Is that an implication it's not possible to have the finer flame pattern [1727 Barrere] in Acer Pseudoplatanus ???

Jim

Is that an implication it's not possible to have the finer flame pattern [1727 Barrere] in Acer Pseudoplatanus ???

Jim

Balkan maple can have narow flame as well. It is not just wide flame.

BUT Oppio generally IS narrow flame only. It also tends to start out a darker colour.