19th ct. ?french? violin. any opinions welcome.

matzstudio

hi folks!

i aquired this violin as part of a larger trade-in deal some weeks ago. it was offered and sold to me as "school of Lupot, ca. 1830 - 1850". it was not exactly cheap unfortunately.

it is a "grand" instrument, both in size and sound. back measures 361 mm.

i do not intend to sell it (i want to play it myself), but i would very much appreciate your input reg. the instrument´s age and origin. it is unlabeled b.t.w. (label removed).

thanks a lot!

Matz

post-23614-1244657736_thumb.jpg

post-23614-1244657773_thumb.jpg

post-23614-1244657795_thumb.jpg

hi folks!

i aquired this violin as part of a larger trade-in deal some weeks ago. it was offered and sold to me as "school of Lupot, ca. 1830 - 1850". it was not exactly cheap unfortunately.

i do not intend to sell it (i want to play it myself), but i would very much appreciate your input reg. the instrument´s age and origin. it is unlabeled b.t.w. (label removed).

thanks a lot!

Matz

Looks like a nice French violin to me. Have you a photo of the front of the scroll?

I have never seen f hole fluting as deep and aggressive as that! Quite impressive. You said it sounds good, anyone think that the fluting helps the sound? It always amazes me that 1 or 2mm here or there really bothers some people. Seems totally irrational to me.

I've seen deep fluting like this - have it on my daker sounding violin.

Speaking of dark, I like dark varnish for some reason, and hope that it comes back into style. The finish is so slick and thick that it almost looked dipped or poured on. It's probably just a heavy french polish job...?

Is the purfling on the back plate raising because of being bumped/opened, or changes in moisture (unseasoned wood)?

The scroll seems tall - I like it.

I've seen deep fluting like this - have it on my daker sounding violin.

Speaking of dark, I like dark varnish for some reason, and hope that it comes back into style. The finish is so slick and thick that it almost looked dipped or poured on. It's probably just a heavy french polish job...?

Is the purfling on the back plate raising because of being bumped/opened, or changes in moisture (unseasoned wood)?

The scroll seems tall - I like it.

thank you all for the kind comments, folks.

there is varnish loss along the back purfling, but the purfling does not feel raised. yes, the back has some bumps ...

here are some more pics.

post-23614-1244793894_thumb.jpg

post-23614-1244793936_thumb.jpg

post-23614-1244793963_thumb.jpg

hi folks!

thanks a lot!

Matz

+++++++++++++++

If the year of made is correct, it is not very old. Why it is in such shape? (with major cracks, label removed)

Since you love this violin, I would spand some money to fix it right for the keep.

It has potential.

+++++++++++++++

If the year of made is correct, it is not very old. Why it is in such shape? (with major cracks, label removed)

Since you love this violin, I would spand some money to fix it right for the keep.

It has potential.

Yuen, with 150 years of use under its belt i think we can grant the fiddle a crack or two.

it is in very good condition. no need to spend (even) more money on it :)