Maestronet Forums

Anyone seen this type reinforced top?

This Suzuki for sale on Ebay 300317308818 Has the strangest top I have seen. Maybe to save a fiddle for student use? The bars seem to have light impressions where a bridge has sat but it sure would raise it up high.

Great topic! I grew up in Eastern Europe during the communist era with a musician father. We did not have access to trained luthiers. The people that would dare work on instruments would find ways to make the various violins,violas, cellos and basses work. If one would look back at that era and the instruments that they(we) were playing, one would cringe. The repairs on the instruments available would make some people cringe. Some techniques they used are now coming back in fashion, such as just using spit and cotton. Some fixes, such as using alcohol for fixing varnish problems, are now frowned upon.

I am also surprised by ebay auctions that purport to have authentic Italian violins from the former Eastern bloc. I don't know where these instruments were when I was growing up there. :)

This particular violin, I think, endured a repair under extreme circumstances. It should not be followed, but I think we should sympathize with the spirit of it. Make it work!

Teo

This Suzuki for sale on Ebay 300317308818 Has the strangest top I have seen. Maybe to save a fiddle for student use? The bars seem to have light impressions where a bridge has sat but it sure would raise it up high.

+++++++++++++++++

It is definitely a student violin. The carpenter repaired it for structural reason when it was broken.

When a student knows more they will want better instruments.

My first instruemnt was a toy. Second instruement was a German student violin. A toy can not be improved upon

no matter what you do with it but a decent student instrument in the hands of a competent luthier can be

made quite impressive.

+++++++++++++++++

The carpenter repaired it for structural reason when it was broken.

How do you know this?

It is just as likely -if not more so- that the strips were put on an unbroken violin as an experiment or concept of some kind.

I must admit I find your statement annoying. It is one thing to offer an observation with a qualifying word like "may" or "possibly", etc., but it is another to state something as fact. People who read forums trust that those who make such absolute statements have a reason for doing so, like having experience.

Having read a great many of your posts over the years, I am positive you are unqualified to make this kind of absolute assertion. I suggest you rephrase such statements in the future to reflect something more truthful.