Sign in to follow this  
sonnichs

Scores for Obscure Baroque Viola Works

When compared with the violin there is an obvious paucity of works that feature the viola for the baroque period. There are however a few works that surface in sources such as Riley, and it would be nice to look them over. I have listed a few below and would be interested if anyone knows of a source for the music (other than flying to the UK to raid their libraries).

Wm. Herschel - Viola Concerti in D, F and C

Wm. Flackton - Viola Sonatas 4,5,6 and 8

Benjamen Blake - Six Duets for Violin and Tenor, Duo Op.7(w/violin) Duo Op. 9 (w/cello)

[PS - Herschel incidently, is the one and same that is better known by us physicists as the discoverer of IR light, various planetary bodies, and optical properties. Physics was only his hobby-his "day job" was as a paid musician]

I could only suggest that you contact the professors at Oberlin College, specificly the teachers involved with the Oberlin Baroque Performance institute, they or the outside instructors they bring in may have some imformation on these area. Search online of the OBP Institute, they will be starting sometime in June. Not sure who teaches the baroque viola in the Oberlin Conservatory but you may contact Marilyn McDonald who does the violin area, search the Oberlin College website.

Reese

Thank you for the replies. If ordered the Flackton sonatas from Schott. I did not order the Broude edition of Blake because they only sell the cello ones (my wife is a violinist).

It never ceases to amaze me how many works sit in libraries, never to be published. I can't imagine this is laziness on the part of the musical community-perhaps libraries do not allow people to copy these works? Some are real gems especially the rare solo works, duets etc.

Cheers

Fritz

Libraries are very accommodating. The musical community is, indeed, not lazy. The problem is the mainstream audiences who are addicted to familiarity.

Also, a great deal of stuff goes in and out of print very quickly. I can't wait until Googlebooks gets around to copying rare scores! Paper is flimsy.

Oh yeah, also, a lot of stuff that is lost and forgotten about is lost and forgotten about 'cause it's not very good.