Maestronet Forums

Wood Music stand

Eiji Fuller

Ok, its too strong for you. I get it. I am very enthusiastic about the design as you all may have noticed.

I was the one who pointed out my thin skin. was it a thin skin, really? I dont think so. I was defending a construction detail that was labelled by someone as questionable joinery. Which in my book was an ignorant statement without knowing the connection details.

I welcome all constructive feedback on the design and feel of the piece. Of course not everyone could like it. Not everyone appreciates contemporary design and would prefer a more traditional look. Some like a solid desk, and some like fretwork. Whatever.

I like it and I am putting it out there.

So I am not a luthier. Does that make me not welcome here?

Eiji

In my book, you are very welcome here. I might have a personal preference for what is in my studio and wrote as such in response to your putting your work on here for suggestions. I find the people that bother to respond here quite knowledgeable. Unfortunately, one cannot communicate inflection, tone of voice, etc., in a written message. If you follow some posters for a while, you will learn that they mean well, although sometimes they may come across as not being that nice.

Hope you keep showing your work on here!

Nice, precise, original, tasteful and well finished off work. I had a look at your website too. No doubt you have good skills in wood finishes as well, and a good eye, and appearently passion, for making way above average work.

I like how you have utilized the patterns in the wood and the finish to make something special.

Those that might buy from you are probably the best advisers. Personally I find it interesting to see works by other diciplines than just violin making. This site is also for musicians, so maybe some of these might find the stand interesting, or even have opinions to listen to?

Keep up your good work and good luck with your competition entry! :-)

Ok, its too strong for you. I get it. I am very enthusiastic about the design as you all may have noticed.

I was the one who pointed out my thin skin. was it a thin skin, really? I dont think so. I was defending a construction detail that was labelled by someone as questionable joinery. Which in my book was an ignorant statement without knowing the connection details.

I welcome all constructive feedback on the design and feel of the piece. Of course not everyone could like it. Not everyone appreciates contemporary design and would prefer a more traditional look. Some like a solid desk, and some like fretwork. Whatever.

I like it and I am putting it out there.

So I am not a luthier. Does that make me not welcome here?

Eiji

E...welcome to the snide snark tank...

i like you am primarily a builder...30 yrs+ high end wood work...from what i've seen of your work....i think you should become a luthier...here's why....

first many of the good modern masters have previous careers in wood working...

even if you do not wish to do it for a living, it is great fun...

the reality is after yo have done large scale projects in construction that are of a detailed nature...this here fiddle building{i mean basic construction of a functioning violin} is very simple...

lets put this way after i install 2000sq ft. of wood flooring with a 15 step radius staircase with curved rails and intricate balustrades...well frankly violin making just don't seem that hard...

now related to your stand....

i think your on to something...

this world of violin......is very close minded.....i don't really mean that in a bad way....they are very traditional, and often either look down on or question anyone who would do anything out of the norm...this would telegraph into the world of accessories as well...

HOWEVER....what this does is open up the marketplace for ANYONE who would dare do anything different...

so a major untapped market in my mind is the world of accessory's...stands,rests,cases...etc...

i would suggest making more proto types...

i think the functionality ideas are very practical, it would be nice to have a stand that you can write on and not have it knock over...

i think what some may be criticizing is the "boxy" look....

you could soften the look of the stand perhaps by simply putting 45' dog ears on the outer edges of the writing surface as well as the base...

also you could really improve its function by putting a majority of the weight in the base, and perhaps making your own custom laminate by buying 3/4" balsa stock and then veneer that with a skin a tight grained hardwood...

i would suggest either rounding or easing with an angle any corners that may present a corner to get injured on....in tight quarters i have seen people smack stands with there hands and instrument on accident....by having an eased edge this will reduce the chance of "pain" to a player or their instrument

i'll give you 3 months....you'll see...you are going to feel compelled to build a violin.... :)

I was defending a construction detail that was labelled by someone as questionable joinery. Which in my book was an ignorant statement without knowing the connection details.

I am the person with the "ignorant statement" in question. Perhaps I, though ignorant of your design , know enough about joinery that I can recognize a flaw without having to know the details.

One thing is apparent above and beyond your thin skin and inexperience. You are a rude individual (at least based on this interaction).

Dean

I am the person with the "ignorant statement" in question. Perhaps I, though ignorant of your design , know enough about joinery that I can recognize a flaw without having to know the details.

One thing is apparent above and beyond your thin skin and inexperience. You are a rude individual (at least based on this interaction).

Dean

1. i would question your questioning his joinery

i build stairs all day long, the example you gave does not apply to this type of construction...this is not a fixed piece

2. i do not see a what you call a flaw in the structural design and integrity of any of the joints, for what this is it seems built strong and sufficient to perform the task...

3. and i read all his response's several times trying to find a "rude" statement...i found none, all i got was an implied apologetic tone for suggesting you are "ignorant" which seems to have punched one of your buttons

4. your statement, to me, comes across as an unprovoked attack that feels very rude

5. this fellow, based on his picture, is younger....i do wish people would be more encouraging to young people...

it is this snotty,snide,snarky attitude that drives young people away from classical music and stringed instruments...

i do wish people had a more easy going nature here and in general in the world of violin....

be cool and mellow be smart and wise..be like.....david burgess

Welcome to Maestronet -- I think. :)

It's a beautiful stand. Pay no attention to the Golden Ratio. The desk is 14 x 22. The ratio is 1.57, while the Golden Ratio is 1.62. Who cares if it's slightly shorter than some supposedly magic number? But even if you do care, note that the desk is (1) covered by music; and (2) forshortened because it's tipped, so it looks closer to the ratio anyway.

Now you just need some beautiful wood music clips.

Welcome to Maestronet -- I think. :)

It's a beautiful stand. Pay no attention to the Golden Ratio. The desk is 14 x 22. The ratio is 1.57, while the Golden Ratio is 1.62. Who cares if it's slightly shorter than some supposedly magic number? But even if you do care, note that the desk is (1) covered by music; and (2) forshortened because it's tipped, so it looks closer to the ratio anyway.

Now you just need some beautiful wood music clips.

i agree, that is a good point...golden ratio is nice, even important...but does not over ride everything...

and as the visul perspective can change depending on the pitch of the top with the angle of veiw...well its somewhat moot

i think if you do somethinh like this, putting all the bells and whistle on that you can is the way to go "deluxe"...how bout a little wood cup for pencils?

again i would loose any sharp corners...

but then again...

we all know...jessupe dona' relly' lika de corners'zis

Pay no attention to the Golden Ratio.

Silly me.

----------------------

So why did the Masters pay so much attention to ratio and proportion when building their violins?

After all, the Grand Duke would be watching from the balcony and Mr Magic Fingers would be grasping it somewhere underchin or on chest.

Thank you guys for all the comments.

I have been thinking about accessories to go with the stand. Mentioned were: a light, some sweet little wood clips, wood pencil cup. I will get started on the clips and an attachable pencil holder.

I was thinking a matching practice chair would be nice. Something akin to a Maloof sitting chair. Not a rocker. :) Any thoughts on a matching chair?

Thank you guys for all the comments.

I have been thinking about accessories to go with the stand. Mentioned were: a light, some sweet little wood clips, wood pencil cup. I will get started on the clips and an attachable pencil holder.

I was thinking a matching practice chair would be nice. Something akin to a Maloof sitting chair. Not a rocker. :) Any thoughts on a matching chair?

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?...post&id=311

here's some lacewood in a different application... :)

if you want to see other pics...search........celaeno

related to the chair....i think its a good idea....if you decide to try to make this a part of your biz you may want to think in terms of two different categories

1. formal deluxe items, such as your stand with a fixed chair

2. lightweight portable fold-able stands with matching folding chairs, geared more for travel maybe not so fancy...

good luck, its nice to see young talent...

i mean i suppose you could be playing video games hanging out in your moms basement like 1/2 the people your age....or so it seems

Its actually South American Leopardwood which is a much harder, more red, and has a more consistent density than the Australia's Queensland Lacewood.

Too bad for me is that I can only get it in 600 board ft quantities at the moment.

I will be making 2 more stands with Ribbon Sapele. The particular board has got some nice flame in the grain. Which will give the desk a nice character.

I dont think I will be going into the folding stand game. too many players and I am not a machinist.

I will have 3 models of the stand to start.

Gasparo Stand - 14 x 22" desk with double shelf

del Gesu Stand- 14 x 22" desk with single shelf

Strad Stand- 13 x 20" desk with single shelf.

Plus:

Matching chairs, wood music clips, pencil holders.

Question. Do you string musicians prefer the shelf notches for your bow or a clip on hook on which to hang it?

Eiji

Its actually South American Leopardwood which is a much harder, more red, and has a more consistent density than the Australia's Queensland Lacewood.

Too bad for me is that I can only get it in 600 board ft quantities at the moment.

I will be making 2 more stands with Ribbon Sapele. The particular board has got some nice flame in the grain. Which will give the desk a nice character.

I dont think I will be going into the folding stand game. too many players and I am not a machinist.

I will have 3 models of the stand to start.

Gasparo Stand - 14 x 22" desk with double shelf

del Gesu Stand- 14 x 22" desk with single shelf

Strad Stand- 13 x 20" desk with single shelf.

Plus:

Matching chairs, wood music clips, pencil holders.

Question. Do you string musicians prefer the shelf notches for your bow or a clip on hook on which to hang it?

Eiji

not sure, but i would try to incorporate it in a way that has fluidity, and has both an ease in your construction method as well as simple ease for the player to use...

something that just allows for the bow to be hung and then picked back up without any mechanism would be best

again i prefer design that does not have sharp edges or "things" that may cause ones clothing to snag...

ah' leopardwood...they are very similar in appearance...

i'm not sure if you have but you may wish to re post this "stand" post in the "fingerboard" which is primarily for players

1. they would be able to give you more honest answers related to your questions from a players point of view

2. they will be less likely{as they are not builders}to just talk about the aesthetics and functionality of what you made...no "wood master wars"...i can understand wanting input from other wood guys...but,well you see how it goes...i think players would really be the people you would want judging the overall practicality and design...they also may have other suggestions

good luck

Silly me.

It's not silly, it just doesn't seem as applicable in this case. And how would you measure the rectangle? With or without the shelf? From the front or back? Tipped or not tipped? Eye level or lower? It certainly is not silly to pay attention to a pleasing shape. I just don't know how to relate it to this classical shape.

As for the pencil cup, ??? That's what the shelf is for. Personally I would keep the design clean and simple.

That guitar back is nice.

+++++++++++++

Why do we need a newly designed music stand? I have two music stands, one at home such as a " Manhasset"

and a portable, foldable, music stand that I can take it to anywhere. They are working fine.

In a music classroom I noticed that they have metal music stands which are strong enoug to stand rough treatments of

the students and they are stackable in a small corner.. Again ,they are working perfectly.

Your stand looks good. I like it too but is it convient to move it around? You know sometime music stand

is getting my way (or somebody's way) if I am not using it. Just curious?