Maestronet Forums

Wonderful, Exquisite Inlay

frankcello

Danm!

That's some fine work.

I'm curious, did you lay in the first 'level' and cut through it to lay in the second? or was it pieced individually?

Hi Craig - it took me some time to figure out your question - LOL! But yes, that is exactly what I did.

But, as you will see when you follow the lines, the "first level" becomes the "second level" on the other half, so bits and pieces are very much part of the process.

Hi Craig,

Hi Craig - it took me some time to figure out your question - LOL! But yes, that is exactly what I did.

But, as you will see when you follow the lines, the "first level" becomes the "second level" on the other half, so bits and pieces are very much part of the process.

Yes, I did notice the Celtic knot like quality!

I immediately started thinking "How was thìs done?

Yeah that's the one Jacob! I did mine the same way, but I didn't know what I was doing when I thinned it from the inside and it was both flimsy and too heavy. I have another started and it should come out better now that I think I understand the arching.

It was probably this one (seeing as how it's the only one I've done!) - done with the method you describe.

Wow Jacob!

Thanks for posting the picture, that is truly inspiring.

So what you are saying is that you marked the initial lines with a single blade knife?

It seems that it would be easier to at least mark it with the double blade knife, and then come back with a single blade knife to deepen the channel.

Wow Jacob!

Thanks for posting the picture, that is truly inspiring.

So what you are saying is that you marked the initial lines with a single blade knife?

It seems that it would be easier to at least mark it with the double blade knife, and then come back with a single blade knife to deepen the channel.

I think you are right about that. Like I've said, I've only done one inlay like that, and if I had to do it again there are a few things I might do differently.

• 10 years later...