Maestronet Forums

the lurkers

jezzupe

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sure, I see...

You're using some sort of DaVinci Code, right?

One one too tree fife ate....

Probably the only thing I'm showing is that lurking is not always a bad thing! :)

I suppose it's obvious, but I think Maestronet is a useful place, not always serious. Can't think of anyway to enforce a no-lurker policy that wouldn't create more problems than it solved.

Stradivari's secret is to be found in the Castle Ahhhhhhh...

Just around the corner from Rosslyn Chapel.

Hi everybody!

I am a lurker too, reading and enjoying MN for a few months now.

And I would like to thank all the authors of interesting posts.

Here is my introduction:

After having worked in architecture, I became a violinmaker trained in Cremona. After some years of professional experience around Europe, I started my own business in 2003. I am currently based near Lübeck, Germany.

My work includes the making of baroque violins , violas and cellos, as well as baroque bows with clip-in frogs.

As many of the other lurkers, I immagine, I first wanted to see how it works on maestronet, waiting with my first post until I had something usefull to ask or to comment...

Writing a few sentences in an understandable english takes me hours, having two small children does not help me to find enough time. But as soon as possible and of interest, I will add my comments.

Is that ok? :)

Bernhard

Thanks, Melvin!

Grazie Manfio!

Melvin, I am impressed, how did you understand it's Ole Bull, looking at only 90x60 pixel?

My Ole Bull sounds much better than expected, very rich with a lot of focus and not too loud under the ear.

I have been told that the belly of the Ole Bull has been thinned, that's why I have chosen to make the thicknesses of a hopefully untouched belly of the same period, the Cannone, with the original Ole Bull thicknesses for the back.

See you in Oslo?

Bernhard

Thanks, Melvin!

Grazie Manfio!

Melvin, I am impressed, how did you understand it's Ole Bull, looking at only 90x60 pixel?

My Ole Bull sounds much better than expected, very rich with a lot of focus and not too loud under the ear.

I have been told that the belly of the Ole Bull has been thinned, that's why I have chosen to make the thicknesses of a hopefully untouched belly of the same period, the Cannone, with the original Ole Bull thicknesses for the back.

See you in Oslo?

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard

I did the same as you with the thickness. My violinist friends seem to like the result....I was not sure what to expect with such long F holes!

Yes, See you in Oslo!

Writing a few sentences in an understandable english takes me hours, having two small children does not help me to find enough time. But as soon as possible and of interest, I will add my comments.

Is that ok? :)

Bernhard

Hello Bernhard.

Welcome.

I hear you.

If you play your cards right, those two small children will eventually produce grandchildren, and then you can laugh and have your revenge as you watch them also not be able to find enough time or energy...

(Plus, you will be able to enjoy the Grandkids, and when you get tired, just pack them off home!)

I tell you, it's wonderful!

Craig Tucker

Everybody started out as lurkers, didn't we? :) I wonder if not most 'lurkers' are in fact search engines doing their job? :)

Not all of them. Now that the cats out of the bag I'll confess, I'm a lurker. Years ago I was an active poster, back in the days of the old soapbox.

I lurk to learn. I don't make fiddles, yet, but I restore them. I've done most major operations succcesfully. From pegs to patchwork, neck resets, scroll cheeks, graduation etc.

I have a friend who is a luthier and he's taught me a lot. I'm actually pretty good at setups. Beyond that I read and lurk to learn how to do things.

So thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Ernie

Hello Bernhard.

Welcome.

I hear you.

If you play your cards right, those two small children will eventually produce grandchildren, and then you can laugh and have your revenge as you watch them also not be able to find enough time or energy...

(Plus, you will be able to enjoy the Grandkids, and when you get tired, just pack them off home!)

I tell you, it's wonderful!

Craig Tucker

You are right, it's wonderful, but difficult to keep the workshop neat! :)

Hi Bernhard

I did the same as you with the thickness. My violinist friends seem to like the result....I was not sure what to expect with such long F holes!

Yes, See you in Oslo!

Ok, I understand, you discovered it by the length of the F holes...! :)

In my case, one of the reasons for the belly-thickness has been the F-holes too - after having reached Cannone thicknesses, the top felt already quite floppy. The other reason was to recreate the sound of an original late Del Gesù. But I did not make an original north italian baroque set-up, most of my customers are asking for a more classical set-up.

That's also why I made a modern neck length, there is no reason to make a shorter neck for violins played most of the time at 415 or 430 Hz. North Italy had quite high pitches in the old masters period, but today just a few hardcore-baroque-violinists are performing at 460 Hz....

Looking forward to meet you in Oslo!

I wasn't going to write anything since the hole length jumps out at you but that's because Melvin has a great eye.

I would love to see a larger image of your copy. It looks really nice even at the small size.

It's not really a copy, more something like an interpretation... I did not want to work with Del Gesù's hand, I just wanted to make it my way, in Del Gesù's spirit, and as as quick as possible. After varnishing, it turned out smoother than intended. One has to work really like a butcher to get an authentic copy!

post-30090-1269899215.jpg post-30090-1269899243.jpg post-30090-1269899256.jpg post-30090-1269899274.jpg post-30090-1269900876.jpg

Ok, I understand, you discovered it by the length of the F holes...! :)

In my case, one of the reasons for the belly-thickness has been the F-holes too - after having reached Cannone thicknesses, the top felt already quite floppy. The other reason was to recreate the sound of an original late Del Gesù. But I did not make an original north italian baroque set-up, most of my customers are asking for a more classical set-up.

That's also why I made a modern neck length, there is no reason to make a shorter neck for violins played most of the time at 415 or 430 Hz. North Italy had quite high pitches in the old masters period, but today just a few hardcore-baroque-violinists are performing at 460 Hz....

Looking forward to meet you in Oslo!

Hehe!....yes...I did Cannone thickness but as you say the top felt floppy......I almost wish I had used even thicker grads....

It's not really a copy, more something like an interpretation... I did not want to work with Del Gesù's hand, I just wanted to make it my way, in Del Gesù's spirit, and as as quick as possible. After varnishing, it turned out smoother than intended. One has to work really like a butcher to get an authentic copy!

Nice looking violin -- thank you for posting the larger photos.

post-30090-1269899215.jpg post-30090-1269899243.jpg post-30090-1269899256.jpg post-30090-1269899274.jpg post-30090-1269900876.jpg

Bernhard

That's a great looking fiddle. Thanks for posting the pics. I am excited to see and hear it soon.

Nice looking violin Bernard. Makes me wish I did a straight up baroque, but then yours would make mine look bad. Now mine can look weird all by itself! Mine was already kinda beat up (the purfling) then the varnish ran and scrapping it off made it more beat up. You just have to work like a hack butcher! Or be one.

What size strings did you use? I bought mine from Gamut strings. I have a .58mmE, .8mmA, 1.1mmD gimped (I have another 1.1 straight gut if I don't like the gimped one) and a wound G =1.65mm. Unfortunately my violin has been taking too long to dry and I haven't been able to string it up with the guts. I'm stretching them on another violin now. Can't tell how they'd work on the Ole Bull, but they're not bad on the other one, seem balanced. The gimped D seems more sensitive to where you bow though...has to be closer to the bridge the higher up you finger.