Sign in to follow this  
dracula chow mein

OLD ITALIAN VIOLIN? ON EBAY #230336541207

Why isn't anyone weighing in on this violin? Every time bestviolins , or any of the hundreds of other con artists on Ebay, lists a Chinese or Romainian , "Italian Labeled " violin, You all start fantasizing about winning the lottery with your brilliant discovery.

On and on you all proselytize about the wondrous Italian violin that has miraculously appeared on Ebay.

Speculation abounds that the "Chinese" violin exhibits the characteristics of the Cremonese masters!

Many Maestronet experts see the hand of various Amati's or other Italian icons in made yesterday junk worth between $50 and $300 wholesale.

I have previously stated that zero old Italian violins are or have ever been on Ebay.

I stand corrected! This violin http://cgi.ebay.com/Ancient-Fine-Antique-I...93%3A1|294%3A50 is in my humble opinion is actually an old Italian violin!

While it is in rough condition, with many crack repairs, both sides of the scroll cheeked, button repaired and much worm damage, It actually exhibits characteristics of Old Italian Violins!

How could you all have missed this?

I am curious to see what everyone thinks about it.

Why isn't anyone weighing in on this violin? Every time bestviolins , or any of the hundreds of other con artists on Ebay, lists a Chinese or Romainian , "Italian Labeled " violin, You all start fantasizing about winning the lottery with your brilliant discovery.

On and on you all proselytize about the wondrous Italian violin that has miraculously appeared on Ebay.

Speculation abounds that the "Chinese" violin exhibits the characteristics of the Cremonese masters!

Many Maestronet experts see the hand of various Amati's or other Italian icons in made yesterday junk worth between $50 and $300 wholesale.

I have previously stated that zero old Italian violins are or have ever been on Ebay.

I stand corrected! This violin http://cgi.ebay.com/Ancient-Fine-Antique-I...93%3A1|294%3A50 is in my humble opinion is actually an old Italian violin!

While it is in rough condition, with many crack repairs, both sides of the scroll cheeked, button repaired and much worm damage, It actually exhibits characteristics of Old Italian Violins!

How could you all have missed this?

I am curious to see what everyone thinks about it.

Likely bass bar crack. Beautiful violin. I agree with John on this. Beautiful Italian violin, probably something good, but pahdah hound would not sell on ebAY if he thought it was something special or if he knew he could get more $ from a reputable 'in person' seller. Would not bid as a player since I think the sound would be weak high on the G string and not really rich in general on the lower register. Never mind the rich overtones that build with more mating sounds of the gorillas in heat

More new violin terminology to learn here!

What does it mean when you say: the scroll is cheeked? I've been looking at the photos and the scroll and at the moment I'm not picking out what's wrong, if indeed this does mean that something is wrong with the scroll. Maybe it is because I've not had breakfast yet, but I'd appreciate knowing what I should be looking for...

<----Always eager to learn from people who know so much more!

no, you didn't miss anything, the scroll is grafted to a new neck but the side of the pegbox look fine and don't appear to have been patched at all, this violin would actually be a great candidate for a Baroque Violin if anyone is still search out there.

Reese

What does it mean when you say: the scroll is cheeked?

It means that the wood of the outer walls of the pegbox (the "cheeks") has been partially cut away and replaced with new wood.

On this violin it is best seen in the picture of the treble side of the pegbox that shows only the G and E pegs. Note the horizontal line starting just below the top edge of the nut and running all the way across the pegbox. If this line were the edge of the graft, it would stop at the vertical line of the graft joint, but it goes all the way across. There should be another line showing the other end of the new wood somewhere up around the volute, but I can't see it in the pictures.

The purpose of cheeking the scroll would usually be to re-enforce cracks in the pegbox by cutting away some of the cracked wood and replacing it with solid wood in the same way that a soundpost patch re-enforces a soundpost crack.

pahdah hound would not sell on ebAY if he thought it was something special

Not true. As Jesse's luthier, I know that he sells special violins on Ebay whenever he can find them. He has sold other Italian violins in the past as well as very fine antique American violins and violins by good modern makers, among others.

What a foolish remark. Just because you haven't spotted them doesn't mean they are not there.

Glenn

What a foolish remark. Just because you haven't spotted them doesn't mean they are not there.

Glenn

Just because you haven't spotted them doesn't mean they are not there.

Actually.If I haven't spotted them, It does mean that they are not there !!!

I'm not just running off at the mouth like you are.

I and many other people can actually tell Italian violins from non Italian violins.

I and many other people can actually tell Italian violins from non Italian violins.

The other requirement is that you've seen every violin ever offered on e-Bay, which seems like quite a task. Perhaps you've done that, though.

I think it looks interesting, but I don't see the bass-bar crack. Maybe I'm missing it. The photos are quite detailed for e-Bay.

For how many years have you reviewed every single violin that ever appeared on eBay?

Your arrogance exceeds your stupidity and you have lost any credibility you might have established in your 5 posts.

Glenn

Wow, not only can dracula chow mein unerringly determine whether a violin is Italian or not (old Italian, that is; wonder what the cut-off date is?), but he can do it from photographs alone, even the poor-quality photos that often accompany ebay violin auctions. And he has done this for the tens of thousands of violins that have been sold on ebay for the last 12 years. Amazing talent.

Is this violin Italian: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290300357355 ? :)

My post seems to have put a stop to "dracula chow mein" and his bellicose responses. Could we surmise that I hit a a nerve? The particular violin has dropped tremendously in price from earlier postings. :) :)

always risky to buy from internet this way as u can't

physically pick up the violin

play it for some time,

looking at it ,

checking it....etc

and importantly making a serious comparison with your violins and all that u are familiar with

if price is low, that would minimize the loss even got cheated

thought a return policy is stated, buyer still would lose at least 2 times shipping fee

would there be any area for argument on compensation for scratch/damage to violin returned

to seller ?

My post seems to have put a stop to "dracula chow mein" and his bellicose responses. Could we surmise that I hit a a nerve?

Perhaps you got him in the jugular vein.

Economy must be improving.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290310522876

Anyone have a stake and crucifix? Can John respond in a reasonable manner? One can only hope for miracles once in a while.. :) :)

Sorry , I was at a loss for words.

After trying to digest the enormity of the idiocy of the Maestronet Auction Scroll population in general. and the even greater moronic capacity of the Ebay population, I am ready to throw in the towel , much like you all throw in your money and "intellectual" muses , into the never ending pile of worthless , trash , masquerading as violins , here and on Ebay!

Go Ahead!!! Keep dreaming that some fool , living in a trailer, Sorry, I meant" mobile home", would even ever have a rare old Italian violin that he found at the dump or at a tag sale. And further that he is so stupid that he will put it on Ebay for a genius like you to find for $50.

All of those violins that you fools keep talking about are "FAKES"!!!!!! and you are suckers.

You are all bound and determined to keep getting fleeced! There is nothing that I can do.

Even when you are faced with a real, albeit rather pedestrian , Old Italian Violin, and I point it out to you, You all totally ignore it and the features and details that make it authentic.

After writing more inane drivel, You return to dreaming about Chinese and Romanian fake violins!

Hey! Have you seen the latest violins that bestviolins has up? What do you think? A real Guarnieri violin or what? Maybe you can get it for $3000! That is about $3,000,000 less than it is worth.

Also, check out violin dada, select violins, stradivari 1712 , richietman, ( How about his "The Gypsy" violin? for only $15,000!) "and all the others.

What dopes they are, selling rare Italian violins for a few thousand dollars.

You my friends , Are Certified Violin Genius's !!!

Wow...

Do you need a shovel for all your wet sand?

I don't think your generalization of "I know everything" and "You're all fools" will go over here very well.

I hope you post with more respect in the future.

Well.

It is truly an honor to be in the presence of a real violin savant.

You have portrayed yourself in a manner more fitting and accurate then any

two-bit violin "loving" hack on this forum ever could.

Huzzah to you!

Please. Keep typing. Just keep typing.

I trust you will be bidding on this little treasure.

But if I "win", would you like a finders fee?

Pfffffffffttttt, your majesty.

After trying to digest the enormity of the idiocy of the Maestronet Auction Scroll population in general. and the even greater moronic capacity of the Ebay population, I am ready to throw in the towel , much like you all throw in your money and "intellectual" muses , into the never ending pile of worthless , trash , masquerading as violins , here and on Ebay!

Go Ahead!!! Keep dreaming that some fool , living in a trailer, Sorry, I meant" mobile home", would even ever have a rare old Italian violin that he found at the dump or at a tag sale. And further that he is so stupid that he will put it on Ebay for a genius like you to find for $50.

All of those violins that you fools keep talking about are "FAKES"!!!!!! and you are suckers.

You are all bound and determined to keep getting fleeced! There is nothing that I can do.

Even when you are faced with a real, albeit rather pedestrian , Old Italian Violin, and I point it out to you, You all totally ignore it and the features and details that make it authentic.

After writing more inane drivel, You return to dreaming about Chinese and Romanian fake violins!

Hey! Have you seen the latest violins that bestviolins has up? What do you think? A real Guarnieri violin or what? Maybe you can get it for $3000! That is about $3,000,000 less than it is worth.

Also, check out violin dada, select violins, stradivari 1712 , richietman, ( How about his "The Gypsy" violin? for only $15,000!) "and all the others.

You are an XXshole, whoever you are. You never answer directly, to any post that challenges you. I think you have some good knowledge for an amateur, but you will never gain any credibility if you post insulting messages. Your post is also not clear if we should take some of the eBay auctions seriously that list "Italian" violins that there is no bidding on.

For myself, I want to get a few fixer uppers that I can take to a violin repairing course this summer.

You make me angry because you insult all of the people and their intelligence on this forum. To sum up, you are a self-righteous asshole.

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? Didn't you say in your original post that there never has been a single rare old Italian violin offered on ebay, with the exception of Jesse's? Now you are chastising other sellers for offering rare old Italian violins on ebay for a few thousand dollars. You should crawl back into the sewer hole you came out of, and be sure to pull the cover back in place. Throwing in the towel is the best thing you could do. I've read a lot of posts and/or responces on maestronet that were rather rude, insensitive, and in a few cases disrespectful, but they all pale in comparison to the rubbish (to put it kindly) that is coming out of your head. Besides that, aren't you stooping very low to even have any communication with us suckers, dopes, idiots, fools, and stupid people? It only shows how stupid you are, stooping that low.

If I were in the market for a good and affordable violin, I would give this one a try. Paddah_hound (Jesse) has sent us 4 different violins in the past which were all returned to him. No questions asked- he honored our decision. We also tried violins from various shops across the country and returned them as well.

Jesse is an honorable ebay dealer who accepts return of violins if it is not what you are looking for. He is an honest vendor.

If you want to bitch then go ahead, but if you are looking for a violin to try there is no need to worry.

If I were in the market for a good and affordable violin, I would give this one a try. Paddah_hound (Jesse) has sent us 4 different violins in the past which were all returned to him. No questions asked- he honored our decision. We also tried violins from various shops across the country and returned them as well.

Jesse is an honorable ebay dealer who accepts return of violins if it is not what you are looking for. He is an honest vendor.

If you want to bitch then go ahead, but if you are looking for a violin to try there is no need to worry.

four violins sent back??? kudos to pahdah_hound for not blocking you. typically the fiddles go for between 1-3 K, you're not going to get a 20 K fiddle, what are looking for at that price point?