Sign in to follow this  
mbmsv

What's the value of this violin?

Does it matter much? :) Ideally in Canadian dollars, but I know how to convert currencies.

No one here will be clear on the value they might place on any violin. You might get a 'wholesale' price. In case you want to sell, another price. If you have a good story you might get some responses. You will probably get some discussion on the 'Mittenwald" aspect of the violin, some John Juzek, klotz tie in, some 'conservatory' influences by way of Vuillaume's shop in the late 1800's. :)

My take, totally not expert: the violin is quite elegant in the back and scroll. The front seems a little bit odd, a little disproportionate. As a player, I think it would not sound so good. The wood on the top is not matched to the back and the grains on the wood on the top do not match each other, from left to right. The left grains are farther spaced than the right, to my eyes. To me, that spells a violin that a player will come back to this and other forums looking for adjustments of the soundpost, bridge, strings, etc without any resolution.

To conclude, without any extra factors, I would pay US$600 for this violin to play myself, buying it on eBay, pay about $2,000 for it at a shop with a money back warranty and a policy of return.

No one here will be clear on the value they might place on any violin. You might get a 'wholesale' price. In case you want to sell, another price. If you have a good story you might get some responses. You will probably get some discussion on the 'Mittenwald" aspect of the violin, some John Juzek, klotz tie in, some 'conservatory' influences by way of Vuillaume's shop in the late 1800's. :)

My take, totally not expert: the violin is quite elegant in the back and scroll. The front seems a little bit odd, a little disproportionate. As a player, I think it would not sound so good. The wood on the top is not matched to the back and the grains on the wood on the top do not match each other, from left to right. The left grains are farther spaced than the right, to my eyes. To me, that spells a violin that a player will come back to this and other forums looking for adjustments of the soundpost, bridge, strings, etc without any resolution.

To conclude, without any extra factors, I would pay US$600 for this violin to play myself, buying it on eBay, pay about $2,000 for it at a shop with a money back warranty and a policy of return.

+++++++++++++++

Exactly. I would say the same thing the price would be somewhere from $600 to $2,000 US dollars.

Can you get more? Of course, if you have a certificate of something of a good violin shop. For argument sake,

if you can prove the wood is from the same mountain in Italy of which the wood of the Stradivari violins once grew.

It would help a lot.

My friend told me once that my violin is a cheap violin. I asked him why? He told me that the wood of the rib and back are from different trees,

no way to match.

All the sudden I learnt something. I get what I paid for in a no-free-lunch society.

My friend told me once that my violin is a cheap violin. I asked him why? He told me that the wood of the rib and back are from different trees,

no way to match.

All the sudden I learnt something. I get what I paid for in a no-free-lunch society.

I hope you didn't pay your friend for that wisdom

no way to match.

I hope you didn't pay your friend for that wisdom

++++++++++++++++++++++

_" I hope you didn't pay your friend for that wisdom" (quoted)

He wanted a free lunch.