Sign in to follow this  
Elaine

Violins played by Cerovsek and Jackiw

Cerovsek had been playing the Stradivari Milanollo of 1728 the last I looked into it.

The Milanollo was featured as a poster in a past issue of The Strad magazine and has been used as a model by many makers since then. The poster is now out of print.

Last time I saw Stefan Jackiw in concert, he played the Kiesewetter Strad (previously played by Vengerov and Gringolts) on loan from the Stradivari Society. I'm not sure if he still has it.

When Corey played with us two years ago he put his case beside mine so during the break I had time to view the Milanollo Strad.Its so much lighter to the naked eye as compared to the Strad poster.It had endless depth and unbelievable richness of tone....and powerful!!!

Its so much lighter to the naked eye as compared to the Strad poster.It had endless depth and unbelievable richness of tone....and powerful!!!

Many makers have never seen the real things in their life. They only copy from magazine pictures. The photos are invariably over-saturated in colors. Now we see new violins becoming darker and dirtier than ever before. In this respect, the magazines did a great deal of disservice to the violin making community.

I agree David.A friend of mine is a professional luthier and he expresses his frustration over using only books for figuring out varnish colour for his violins.I do my best to take him backstage and let him see guest soloists' Strads or Guarneris "in the flesh".

I remember the Heath Guarneri hardly had any original varnish left when we were observing it backstage .I don't know how much of the Milanollo Strads varnish is varnish or just layers of old polish.It was stunning nonetheless.....

Petacus,

Who plays the Heath? I got to see Sarah Chang's Guarneri up close a few years ago and was struck by how little colored varnish was left, mostly on the back as I recall.

LPR