Maestronet Forums

A real label!

bean_fidhleir

http://cgi.ebay.de/Old-master-violin-lab-W...01470QQihZ016QQ

The typeface seems anachronistic, but apart from that this fiddle appears, mirabile dictu, to have a proper original label, not a xerox. And varnished into position, too. The fiddle doesn't look a Widhalm to me at all, but the label technology (substrate, printing method) looks earlier than 1850, i.e. older than the fiddle itself. Pretty astonishing, also puzzling.

Anyone have any views on the fiddle?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Old-master-violin-lab-W...01470QQihZ016QQ

The typeface seems anachronistic, but apart from that this fiddle appears, mirabile dictu, to have a proper original label, not a xerox. And varnished into position, too. The fiddle doesn't look a Widhalm to me at all, but the label technology (substrate, printing method) looks earlier than 1850, i.e. older than the fiddle itself. Pretty astonishing, also puzzling.

Anyone have any views on the fiddle?

I'll bite -

The label looks to me like laid paper, but looks like it's made of wood pulp, a process that wasn't invented until the mid-1800's.

I lived in Germany for a few years, and have a lot of old German books. The great bulk of them are in Gothic type face. Roman type was used some, but I would think Gothic was much more prevalent circa 1800.

There are a lot of people more qualified than me to opine, but the outline, varnish and the edges look rather like late 19th Century French to me.

The typeface seems anachronistic, but apart from that this fiddle appears, mirabile dictu, to have a proper original label, not a xerox. And varnished into position, too. The fiddle doesn't look a Widhalm to me at all, but the label technology (substrate, printing method) looks earlier than 1850...

The label is not a photocopy, and it probably is original to the violin, but it looks to me to be from about 1900-1930 -- not before 1850.