New book about Stradivari

Agreed it looks great. What a wasted opportunity though, the lack of archings is the difference between a must-have and an oh well for me. They say there will be “arching samples” on the DVD, well that could mean anything.

Going to the exhibition, with its 50 instruments, is another matter though. :)

On the german website Violin-Expo, they say that there will be measurements, detail photographs and arching templates of the instruments. But is is not clear to me, if these informations will be available for all the instruments and whether they are in the book or on the DVD.

Anyway, it is out of my price range.

Matthias

I have the Vuillaume book by Jost thone(bought it directly from him on ebay ) ,its a nice book ,violins and violas are lifesize and its has two sets of CT scan cross sections of a Strad and Guarneri model ,maybe they should have put these in the book it would certainly be of more use,than normal arching templates(or none at all ).This new book is rather expensive.The Vuillaume book could have had a bit more interesting text (its short on info)and is more of a picture book .All his books seem to be big on photos and small on text ,which probably is why the price is so high.

And perhaps we have already a good number of books about Antonio Stradivari. Why not other makers? The information - and plans - about Venetian makers is scarce, for instance. I'm thinking about making a cello. I was thinking about a Ruggieri or a Giuseppe Guarnerius filius Andrea model, but there are no cello plans from these makers...

Like the fiddles, the name commands a high price. And I'll add it's way out of my range as well.

A book on Venetian makers, which would be very interesting, I think, would not sell as well, nor for as much -- making it hard for the author & publisher to re-coup their investment.

With the growth of the internet, though, we can anticipate such 'books' being available on-line, with no printing costs, other than those you might incur when you print out the interesting parts.

We can hope.

And perhaps we have already a good number of books about Antonio Stradivari. Why not other makers? The information - and plans - about Venetian makers is scarce, for instance. I'm thinking about making a cello. I was thinking about a Ruggieri or a Giuseppe Guarnerius filius Andrea model, but there are no cello plans from these makers...

http://www.veniceresearch.com/articles.htm

Have you seen this one Manfio?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't help myself. I paid my money in time so I could see my name on the subscriber list :)

I'll let you all know what the book set is like when they arrive next year.

Since this topic is about books-

I hate to bug Stewart Pollens again. Last time we communicated he asked me to contact his publisher (Cambridge University Press) about his latest book "Stradivari". They don't respond to e-mails. Does anyone know the status of this book?

I think there is a chance to see a part and the photos from the book at Mondomusica in October. Jost Thoene exhibit with his books include Photographer Jan Roehrmann. I take a look first before I make decision to buy or not. To see 50 Stradivari Violins next year in Cologne is more exiting to me.

The book about "Stradivarivarnish" is coming out in fall this year. After reading it we should know how it works. :)

A new book about Stradivari is to be published, in 3 volumes, with 100 instruments pictured full size:

http://www.violin-books.com/epages/es11733...ts/STRAD-SET-PO

The pre publication offer is ...998 Euros...

I love violin books but I'm out of this one. I would prefer less instruments with complete plans, as on Biddulph's book on Del Gesù.

I would really like this, I have the Biddulph but I don't expect another 50th birthday soon.

There's no doubt these books are expensive to research, write and produce but I wonder if you worked out the cost, added profit and then divided by the number of known Strads what the figure you would come up with would be?

Tim (really, really not being a lurker)