Sign in to follow this  
Elaine

March Auctions

There are a number of auctions in London this week. Although, not all of them have completed. Anyone who is active have a feel for how things are going? One thing I have noticed from Tarisio is that reserve is frequently below the bottom of the expected sales range, and there are a large number of items with only one bid. Of course, there is still a large group with no bids, as well.

Anyone else with any comments or conclusions?

Elaine

Norman, Oklahoma

I've been watching the Tarisio auction.It must be a sign of hard times having so few bids on the more expensive instruments.The Garimberti looks lovely along with the Ventapane.I wonder if they'll even meet their reserve bids?The violin bow without a frog and adjuster and described as a Sartory is receiving a lot of attention.Im curious what others think of that bow....

I've been watching the Tarisio auction.It must be a sign of hard times having so few bids on the more expensive instruments.The Garimberti looks lovely along with the Ventapane.I wonder if they'll even meet their reserve bids?The violin bow without a frog and adjuster and described as a Sartory is receiving a lot of attention.Im curious what others think of that bow....

I tested all instruments on 10th (all dealers were on sothebys, i asked my friend to bid there). The sound quality and the condition of the instruments on this tarisio are not the best. The last auction (february) was much better.

My main comment is that Sotheby's don't seem to be trying very hard to attract customers. For many of their lots there were never any online pictures. For a couple of old bows that I was interested in I signed up for a condition report - but didn't get one. It was the same for their last sale. If I was selling something at auction I don't think that I would use them.

Ed

One thing I have noticed from Tarisio is that reserve is frequently below the bottom of the expected sales range

I can't see any reason for starting the bidding below the reserve in any case. Why not simply start it at the reserve and then everyone knows where they stand?

I viewed all this week's London auctions and was distinctly unimpressed by the offerings. Some of the houses do seem to try harder than the others, though.

Some of the bidding at the still on-going Tarisio auction seems odd. I'm surprised, for example, that number 158 (Chappuy) has gone past its reserve.

Andrew

I can't see any reason for starting the bidding below the reserve in any case. Why not simply start it at the reserve and then everyone knows where they stand?

I viewed all this week's London auctions and was distinctly unimpressed by the offerings. Some of the houses do seem to try harder than the others, though.

Some of the bidding at the still on-going Tarisio auction seems odd. I'm surprised, for example, that number 158 (Chappuy) has gone past its reserve.

Andrew

they started the bidding below the reserve, because the reserve is too high. Look to lots 172-222, all red. However, i think also red (not sold) lots are too expensive. Sure, we'll see these instruments on the next auctions. :) I will list also something new.

I've been looking at the results for the Sotheby's London auction and they seem to have done quite well in general when considering lots unsold and hammer prices compared to estimates... Any comments from anyone about prices made etc?

I'm especially interested to know if anyone here tried out the Cuypers violin at Sotheby's that went for more than £32K?

I've been looking at the results for the Sotheby's London auction and they seem to have done quite well in general when considering lots unsold and hammer prices compared to estimates... Any comments from anyone about prices made etc?

I'm especially interested to know if anyone here tried out the Cuypers violin at Sotheby's that went for more than £32K?

I think there were too much musicians, they are never looking to estimate prices and real prices on the market. This Cuypers was in lovely condition, however the sound was not good. What about gagliano with a big sound post crack on the back? Appr. 125 GBP with buyers premium?

For the Tarsio London Auction it appears that 10K GBP was the limit bidders were prepared to go to for the most part-a few exceptions. Bidders will have another chance at the unsold lots and we'll see if any further bidding goes on above 10K GBP.

For the most part I don't know why anyone from the U.S. or outside the E.U. would even bid in a London auction and have to deal with VAT, shipping etc. So for the most part the London auction serves that part of the globe. Better to bid on items in a New York auction.

Perhaps what does not sell in London will show up in New York in the May auction where items may get more interest and bids - or maybe not.

For the most part I don't know why anyone from the U.S. or outside the E.U. would even bid in a London auction and have to deal with VAT, shipping etc.

I don't know about the other auction houses, but Tarisio London does not charge VAT to sales destined for the U.S.

The overall action did seem slow in the Tarisio auction. However, the bows did quite well. A very pretty Hill bow sold for a near-record price of £8,500 (£9,945 including premium). Two other Hills sold for £4,680 and £4,388 (including premium) which are relatively high prices for Hills. A Kittel sold for £16,380 including premium.

The violins didn't do as well. A relatively high percentage of higher-priced lots went unsold. There were no bids on the Garimberti or the Ventapane. The bidding on the Nicolo Gagliano was below reserve until the last minute when someone grabbed it for the low estimate of £50,000, or £58,500 including premium.