Sign in to follow this  
Bill Yacey

Template for 3 turn scroll

I remember sitting in a rehersal next to someone that had a scroll like this. I commented that their scroll had an extra turn in it and was surprised with the reply. "Huh, I never noticed." :)

Some "copies" of Brescian instruments were made by some factories with 3 turn scrolls, but as far as I know there are no original Brescian instruments with this type of scroll. But there are some Brescian scrolls with half turn less, as here, in a viola by Gasparo da Salò:

http://www.usd.edu/smm/Violas/DaSalo/DaSal...crollsideLG.jpg

Or here in Brescian violins:

http://www.usd.edu/smm/Violins/BrescianSch...reblesideLG.jpg

http://www.usd.edu/smm/Violins/BrescianSch...dbasssideLG.jpg

On his website, Manfio beautifully illustrates a clever way to make a scroll from a picture without having to go through the intermediate step of making a template.

I had no idea that a bunny could be used in such a way. Or a sheep for that matter. :)

I'm with David I 'ould not make a 3 turn scroll, unless someone comissioned an instrument with this feature.

I have free bunnies in my workshop. I used to prepare them from the scratch when I was a teenager. but my children will kill me if I take one of these rabbits to our dinner table....

In my website there is only the Italian version of the scroll carving tutorial, but if you make a search "carving a scroll step by step" you will find the original post.

Bill! Don't do it!

If you want to do something weird, make a gas turbine motorcycle or something. :)

You might have a customer for such a thing down in Michigan. B)

I'll take your advice to heart; I just thought it would be something different to carve.

I gave up on the rocket powered cycle; I miscalculated the burn time and my kid brother ended up in southern Saskatchewan. He's beginning now to talk again after 19 years. :) :)

...but a 4 turn scroll...

Yes.

Yes, THAT would be something to see.........

i'll blow all their minds!.............

4 turns...

yesssssssssss.........

so clever! so new!

4 turnssssssssssss.......

yesssssssss...

or five?

:)

I have seen some scrolls with only a single turn, but again, they looked quite ugly. I'm not sure if they appear ugly because subconciously we expect to see two turns, or if they really are ugly no matter how unbiased ones perception.

I'm not a big fan of 3-turn scrolls either -- they're too busy to my eye. It's all a matter of taste, though. Many years back, I saw a trade instrument with three-turns on one side and one on the other. So the average was two!

Some one-turn scrolls, though, I think look pretty. And the Brescian scrolls, such as those Manfio showed (thanks!), attract my eye as well.

Back on a dusty shelf, I have an older trade instrument with a one-turn scroll. It's in bad shape, broken pegbox, soundpost crack on the back, and I should get it put together one of these days. The fellow I got it from said his father played it at square dances back in the 1920s.

I know it's a da Salo copy because it says so on the back! :)

post-24063-1236098997_thumb.jpg

post-24063-1236099014_thumb.jpg

I recalled a modern made instrument with a one-turn scroll that I thought looked pretty clean, but couldn't quite place it. A few minutes on google and I came up with a link to it.

http://www.josephcurtinstudios.com/innovat...roject_evia.htm

Some of the Maginni copies I seen have 3 turns on the scroll.
I've seen this too, that's what sort of piqued my interest. Did Maginni actually make any scrolls in this manner, or is this some copyist's development?

I've seen this too, that's what sort of piqued my interest. Did Maginni actually make any scrolls in this manner, or is this some copyist's development?

The photos that I posted above are from a ~1900 German Maggini copy. It is a bit on the big side at 363mm LOB (quite a number of similar German "Maggini" violins that I've seen were made large).

I've only seen one Maggini (in the USD Shrine to Music Museum) and other pictures of Magginis, and I do not recall any of them having a 3rd turn in the scroll. I also don't recall them being made that much larger than "standard" size. Maybe one of the Italian experts on list could confirm this.

The Maggini at USD: http://www.usd.edu/smm/Violins/Maggini/336...dex.html#scroll

Some "copies" of Brescian instruments were made by some factories with 3 turn scrolls, but as far as I know there are no original Brescian instruments with this type of scroll. But there are some Brescian scrolls with half turn less, as here, in a viola by Gasparo da Salò:

Hi MANFIO,

Please excuse my ignorance here, but how does one determine the exact number, or part thereof, of turns in a scroll. I have looked at numerous pictures here and still cannot determine the number of turns per scroll. :)

Tony

I think the first turn is that one that starts in the end of the pegbox, then you count the turns, you will see that the German Factory made Maggini "copy" has 3 turns. But I'm bad in Maths...