Sign in to follow this  
andy989

bow grip- connect thumb and 2nd finger?

Hi,

Who thinks they should be connected, at least most of the time? I find that it's more relaxed not to, but also probably less secure...but I want other opinions!

Thanks!

Andy

Andy989,

What do you mean by connected? A good bow hold (don't think of it as a "grip" it shouldn't be that tight) will have the thumb and 2nd finger in opposition. This opposition will keep the bow from moving from "side to side." But it need not be tight at all.

The only tightness you should ever need in your bow hold is when the 1st or 4th fingers need to counterbalance the weight of the forward end of the bow (the 1st finger, only sometimes when you play near the tip, and the 4th finger, when you are off the strings completely.

If you are gripping the bow tightly, you are needlessly tiring yourself and you are also probably spoiling your sound.

Andy

The tip of the curved thumb should be in contact with the bow stick between the frog and the whalebone or wrapping. The second finger should be draped over the top of the bow such that if you removed the bow, the thumb would contact the 2nd finger (not counting the thumb)at the first joint (from the finger tip_

Andy Victor-

Hi, thanks for your response...There doesn't have to be tension- what I meant was need to be tactilly connected? if they're still across from each other, what, if any, problems do you see if they're not actually touching?

Andy

My advice:

Don't worry about it. Bow grip, from my experience, is impossible to absolutely master. I have started and contributed to threads about it, I have talked to and gotten advice from my teacher about it, and all it has brought me is misery. Apparently, my bow grip is better according to my teacher but it feels awkward.

Don't be like every other violinist out there using the standardized bow grip, even if it is the best way to do it. Do what is "you".

"This has been brought to you by the DigiMark Corp. for less miserable violinists Foundation"

I have a very large hand. size 9 1/2 glove and my thumb bareley rests on my 3rd finger litely. I have spent alot of time wondering about this, too much, and have come back as the correct thing for me.Of course considering everything Andrew says. I think that for my hand. it's part of the natual posture, without grip or tension.