Maestronet Forums

Manual fo Style

Michael_Molnar

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, if posting ones opinions becomes more like running the gauntlet, we might miss some good and messy insight.

How actually does spell check work when posting? I have never been able to spell worth a damn, believe me it's embarrassing

Also, every time that I click on Reply the previous post is quoted and I have to highlight and delete it. What's with that? Idiots can be usefull contributers too.

Jacob writes: "What about 'aggravate' and 'annoy' - when did these become interchangeable?"

I’d say about 64 minutes ago.

A bit farther back than that in the context used above. See definition 2: Webster's New World Dictionary, 1962, aggravate 1. to make worse; make more burdensome, troublesome, etc. 2. [Colloq.], to exasperate; annoy; vex.

But, granted, "annoy" might be the better word in the above context, unless the writer were trying to exaggerate the annoyance in an, apparently, unsuccessful attempt at some humor.

Jacob writes: "What about 'aggravate' and 'annoy' - when did these become interchangeable?"

A bit farther back than that in the context used above. See definition 2: Webster's New World Dictionary, 1962, aggravate 1. to make worse; make more burdensome, troublesome, etc. 2. [Colloq.], to exasperate; annoy; vex.

But, granted, "annoy" might be the better word in the above context, unless the writer were trying to exaggerate the annoyance in an, apparently, unsuccessful attempt at some humor.

I was taught the real and true, straight and narrow way at school. Suffice it to say that the above evidence of usage compels me to retract my previously implied criticism.

"An honest retraction/apology is better than a deleted post" (sorry, I can't remember which great philosopher coined that one...)

Not all deleted posts contained a retraction or an apology, but I still concur with your basic sentiment. :)

Deleted posts imply second thoughts. A second thought may bear generally beneficial fruit in a process known as "owning up", or it may just be a matter of slinking away in the dark - or, to cover all eventualities, it might be a misdirected entry to a cookery blog - or whatever.

Unless, of course, the post was read by other forum members before it got deleted.