Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Sandvik product?

Does anyone know where I can find this stuff.

I don't think they make it anymore.(something about the environment, whaa whaa whaa :) )

It's my favorite abrasive, and my stash is running low/wearing out.

Anyone have some to sell? Any hints?

Anyone?

I've got cash.

post-24710-1234363543_thumb.jpg

I have heard that product called "sand-plate", and the rumor while I was in making school was that it worked too well - so Sandvik discontinuedf its production. Rumor, mind you.

I have heard that product called "sand-plate", and the rumor while I was in making school was that it worked too well - so Sandvik discontinuedf its production. Rumor, mind you.

Yes it was called sandplate,i think Bahco took over production then swiftly dropped it.I havent seen it for sale for years.

SO! I thinks I've found some.

It was hiding in the Dick catalogue, under precision hand grinder or some such thing.

Observe:

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/70...nted/detail.jsf

I've ordered some large rectangular replacement plates, so we will see if these work as well.

(In fact, I've ordered ALL the replacement plates, so you all are out of luck :) )

The Sandvik plates were great - I bought 2 lozenge-shaped ones several years ago. One I installed on a bent rosewood handle - super. A couple of months aho, I was very pleased to find the other one, and a bonus large orbital sander plate, to boot.

All others are a compromise.

I guess in using such a product you can all flatly deny using sandpaper. :)

They have the great property of being something between a file and a coarse riffler - fast wood removal without deep scratches.

Is it like a metal plate  ? 

I have a double sided abrasive file with a yellow handle, got it 15 years ago and it's still good.

Hope I can find another.

Yeah. It was a flexible metal plate with adhesive on the back. I've used the same piece for nearly 15 years, and it's just now starting to go dull. The little one I used for ebony didn't last as long, but it's still useable. As Janito said, All others are a compromise.

Duane, have you used the Japanese stuff? Does it come in sheets?

How old is this site?

They must be/have been sourcing from somewhere, but where?

It's somewhat new I believe...a N. American distributors of NT Dresser/Cutter from what I gather; made in Japan: http://www.ntcutter.co.jp/ps-11.htm

DGSR☺

sandplate.com is run by an individual named Michael Kocher and his wife, who have a violin shop in St. Louis named Gateway Strings...I do not know them.

I do know Michael Kocher and he is a good guy. I also have a stash of fine grit sandvik sand plate for those interested. Waterlooluthier@yahoo.com if your interested.

Jesse