Maestronet Forums

Going to Mazatlan?

Martin Sheridan

If anyone is coming to Mazatlan, Mexico I need to have a viola delivered.

Shipping to Mexico is very expensive and customs might not allow it in.

However, it is permissible for anyone to bring in a musical instrument.

If you are going somewhere else in Mexico, I might be able to meet you or pay for you to send it to me from withing Mexico.

Muchas gratias mi hermanos de laudero.

Please contact me privately at my email:

martin@martinsheridan.com

No offense intended, but I would hazard that you have a better prospect of getting it there by a couple of carrier pidgeons ganged together than finding someone who happens to be going to Mazatlan, and is willing to carry it across an international border. I am sure you are sincere, but even the remote chance of someone unknowingly transporting something other than a "viola" and perhaps ending up in a Mexican prison for 18 years, should be enough to disuade even the most kind hearted of folk. If someone can afford a viola, they can afford to pay the shipping.

No offense intended, but I would hazard that you have a better prospect of getting it there by a couple of carrier pidgeons ganged together than finding someone who happens to be going to Mazatlan, and is willing to carry it across an international border. I am sure you are sincere, but even the remote chance of someone unknowingly transporting something other than a "viola" and perhaps ending up in a Mexican prison for 18 years, should be enough to disuade even the most kind hearted of folk. If someone can afford a viola, they can afford to pay the shipping.

Importing drugs into Mexico! What a novel concept. Sort of like smuggling coal into Newcastle, or snow to Alaska.

And you think drugs are the only illegal thing that could be smuggled out of the States? I have no doubt he is sincere, but you would have to be mad to ship any parcel in person and for a stranger across an international border. I can think of many things that could have a market outside the U.S. and could be concealed in a viola case. It is sad that this is the state of affairs, but it is just the truth.

And you think drugs are the only illegal thing that could be smuggled out of the States? I have no doubt he is cincere, but you would have to be mad to ship any parcel in person and for a stranger across an international border. I can think of many things that could have a market outside the U.S. and could be concealed in a viola case. It is sad that this is the state of affairs, but it is just the truth.

Martin is not a stranger to many of us here.

GM

I understand where you were coming from, but as part of the ex pat community in Mexico it is very common to ask folks to bring things down here. It is perfectly legal to bring a musical instrument; the rules say one, but I had a friend come down from California last year who brought three instruments with him and it was no problem

Violas so far as I know, at least in the proper hands, are not dangerous, and the case can be opened for inspection. I put my message out on a local website and have already had a couple of replies.

There are many things that you can't buy here that you can get in the states including some prescription drugs and even over the counter meds like anti histamines, so friends, relatives and even strangers bring them down.

We're 850 miles from the Arizona border, so getting anything brought or sent here is a problem.

I would like to apologize, and qualify my earlier remarks. I did not take the time to look up Martin's website, nor did I even realize that the viola was going to a violinmaker. I was too off the cuff with my first impression of the post. Kindly disregard.

Ironically if you had put this out even a week earlier I had two different parties going down to Maz. My Brother is down there now staying at Torres Mazatlan, and my other buddy has a sailboat moored there. He just left last week.

It is a lot to ask of somebody to take that kind of resposibility though. Flying has turned into such a nightmare. Everybody tries to carry their bags on the plane and put them in the overheads. If there isn't room they take your item and put it in the hold. Not a great place for an instrument. Susan got her top coat stolen out of the overhead last year. I took a fishing rod to Mazartlan the last time but I certainly wouldn't take a good one along.

Speaking of ex pats, I've been performing at Canuck's with my friends Ron and Wilhem the last two times that I went down. I just sing though, because I don't want to travel with my handmade guitar. Do you know the place on the Malacon? Ron plays blues harp there. Ah, to be hanging out at Playa Brujo having a mulcajete.

I love Mazatlan. I went there twice with a hulking brute of a used car dealer. On the second trip, we saw a guy crossing the street with a fiddle case under his arm. I wanted to know where he was playing, so my friend hailed him just as he was trying to get on a bus. He turned to us with a look of sheer horror. Then we started talking. He let us know that he was actually a guitar player traveling with a group from Veracruz. The next day he came over to the hotel and I showed him some stuff about string changes on the violin. He was a super-quick study and likely a better man than the car dealer.