Sign in to follow this  
CelloPaul

Looking for good ideas for solo violin wedding music

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a wedding and she wants some ideas of suitable pieces for solo violin - possibly for coming in, register signing and maybe going out to. Not too hard - ideally sounds harder than it really is!! Nerves will be involved!

I've thought of Elgar "Salut d'Amour" or "Chanson de Matin".

Does anyone else have any ideas - something you've heard or played?

Thanks

This is a nice collection, and includes the following works:

The Violinist's Wedding Album for Violin and Keyboard

Contents

Canon composed by Johann Pachelbel

Trumpet Tune composed by Henry Purcell

Trumpet Voluntary composed by Jeremiah Clarke

Prelude composed by Marc-Antoine Charpentier, from Te Deum.

Arioso composed by J.S. Bach

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring composed by J.S. Bach

Largo composed by Antonio Vivaldi, from Winter.

Air on the G String composed by J.S. Bach

Rondeau composed by Jean Joseph Mouret

Wedding March composed by Richard Wagner

Ave Maria composed by Franz Schubert

Ave Maria composed by Bach-Gounod

Ode to Joy composed by Beehoven

Entrance of the Queen of Sheba composed by G.F. Handel

Wedding March composed by Felix Mendelssohn

Sheep May Safely Graze composed by J.S. Bach

Water Music Selections composed by G.F. Handel, Air, Bourree, Hornpipe I, Hornpipe II.

La Rejouissance composed by G.F. Handel, from The Royal Fireworks Msic.

Wachet Auf composed by J.S. Bach

Alleluja composed by W.A. Mozart, from Exultate Jubliate.

Andante composed by W.A. Mozart, from Piano Concerto 21.

Panis Angelicus composed by Cesar Franck

There are a number of not-to-difficult pieces to choose from within the Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin from J.S. Bach. Some are slow and contemplative, while others are bright and uplifting. The Andante from Sonata No.2 in A minor is one in particular that comes to mind. It is a beautiful piece of music and entirely fitting for the occasion.

I played my sister's wedding, and I used the book that MingLoo linked above. However, I found a version of Pachelbel's Canon in D on Sibelius that was much prettier...it was a more polyphonic translation.

I threw in a few Scottish Airs...the audience loved those the most, I think, since they were something different. Songs like "Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife", "Coilsfield House", "The Hills of Lorne", "Hector the Hero", etc.

The Wedding March sounds thin and uninspiring on violin. Leave that one to the church organ if you want grand. On violin it's a very...simple...tune.

You will of course have to learn Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring along with Canon in D.

I threw in a few Scottish Airs...the audience loved those the most, I think, since they were something different. Songs like "Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife", "Coilsfield House", "The Hills of Lorne", "Hector the Hero", etc.

Definitely a good idea, since these simple tunes sound fine with violin alone without piano or any other accompaniment. Also add Irish airs to the list, including Star of the County Down.

When you write "solo violin", do you mean unaccompanied violin? People seem to be answering different questions here. Most of the pieces in this thread would sound quite lonely without a piano accompaniment, but there are other pieces that are actually written for solo violin.

When you write "solo violin", do you mean unaccompanied violin? People seem to be answering different questions here. Most of the pieces in this thread would sound quite lonely without a piano accompaniment, but there are other pieces that are actually written for solo violin.

++++++++++++

Exactly,

It is not a place to play violin solo in a wedding setting unless you are accompanied by a piano or other strings..

It is hard to impress the audience.

++++++++++++

Exactly,

It is not a place to play violin solo in a wedding setting unless you are accompanied by a piano or other strings..

It is hard to impress the audience.

Ain't that the truth. I didn't really want to play solo, particularly at my rather meager talent level. My sister insisted though. Some pieces I had organist accompaniment on, and she was terrific, given the fact that I live "long distance" and never had an opportunity to practice with her.

It took some doing to convince my sister that indeed she did NOT want me to play the wedding march for her.

I received lots of compliments, but I'm still somewhat sheepish about it, as I do think that my lone fiddle didn't impress all that much. But...the Scottish tunes were undeniably the best, though they weren't traditional wedding fare.

Also, look into a violin arrangement of the Bach Cello Suites. The prelude for the first suite is particularly nice, and the cello suites are far easier than the S&Ps. (The S&Ps are really quite beyond me...at least beyond my confidence to play in public. I struggle through those on my own "personal development" time, or whenever I want to despair for my playing ability and hate myself for not being better. :) )

You might want to ask the bride and groom what kind of music they want, whether it's formal classical or more casual folk. Some people can't stand hearing P.'s Canon one more time, and other people see it as a wedding requirement.

I think the prior suggestion of some Celtic airs is worth pursuing. Also consider tunes such as Ashoken Farewell, Amazing Grace, Be Thou My Vision. I would also refer you to the web site of Virtual Sheet Music, where one can find fairly cheap downloadable music.

Virtual Sheet Music

HS

A friend of mine has been asked to play at a wedding and she wants some ideas of suitable pieces for solo violin - possibly for coming in, register signing and maybe going out to. Not too hard - ideally sounds harder than it really is!! Nerves will be involved!

I've thought of Elgar "Salut d'Amour" or "Chanson de Matin".

Does anyone else have any ideas - something you've heard or played?

Thanks

++++++++++++++

The guests in a wedding are not necessary concert goers. They talk, eat and drink in the gethering.

If you play violin solo music you better have enough volume to cover the noise. Then you are in the same

play field.

Can your friend play a solo violin cover? For example, you can find some very touching romantic songs in the Net that could be played. They will be even better if your friend decides to make a cover on any of them!

Edited by Namie