Maestronet Forums

Best way to make a fiddle quieter?

bean_fidhleir

In a pinch you can roll up a dollar bill and weave it into the afterlength. Sliding it nearer or farther from the bridge will adjust the dampening but not the tone. Hundred dollar bills make it sound sweeter :)

I have also slid the rubber outer coating off TV coaxial cable and it works better and will just about kill the sound if it's pushed against the bridge. Neither damage the threads or winding like a wire mute can.

I discovered by accident that a foam wedge that I keep under my fingerboard when I'm not playing my good violin also really damps down the top plate's vibrations if I play with the wedge left in. It doesn't subdue the volume as much as a mute, but it noticeably cuts down my violin's volume and projection without affecting the tone. Perhaps you might try this in conjunction with some other tricks.

Are you trying to quiet the violin somewhat permanently, or are you looking for options to knock some volume out only for certain occasions?

Sorry, I should have said. It's because I live in an apartment and don't want to annoy the neighbors. I'm too busy with a project to go find a seisean somewhere, so I only play at home.

In a pinch you can roll up a dollar bill and weave it into the afterlength. Sliding it nearer or farther from the bridge will adjust the dampening but not the tone. Hundred dollar bills make it sound sweeter :)

I have also slid the rubber outer coating off TV coaxial cable and it works better and will just about kill the sound if it's pushed against the bridge. Neither damage the threads or winding like a wire mute can.

Hi,

This is the most brilliant idea I seen for a long time! Think! If the fiddle is lost it will be a lot more valuable to the finder with a hundred dollar bill tucked between the strings! :)

Cheers Wolfjk

Careful, this may attract strippers. Might get an impromptu "lap dance", which makes playing difficult.

I live in an apartment, and used to worry like crazy about my practice bothering people. Just talk with surrounding residents, and ask them if your playing even bothers them. Sometimes, when I play really late at night, I use a metal "hood" mute. They even make ones covered in rubber now, to prevent damage to the top.

Rubber mutes tend to make awful sounds when they no longer fit tightly... buzzing. The same goes for the metal mutes. Just make sure that they're seated properly. You will also run in to more problems if you have a thicker student bridge... mutes work much better on thinner 'tuned' bridges.

Also, I've used a wooden cloths pin(s) before just for giggles... worked pretty well.

I have tried a 1mm rubber between the bridge and the violin body. It weakened the sound in the mid range, but was almost equally strong in the low and high end. I think it is quite difficult to reduce the sound output by say 10 dB or more without also affacting the timbre.

A lower bridge and thinner strings may help, but not much..

I have tried a 1mm rubber between the bridge and the violin body. It weakened the sound in the mid range, but was almost equally strong in the low and high end. I think it is quite difficult to reduce the sound output by say 10 dB or more without also affacting the timbre.

A lower bridge and thinner strings may help, but not much..

Was that a high sensitivity rubber, or standard issue? 1mm seems pretty heavy duty... :)