Maestronet Forums

We know lip synching....now violin and cello synching....Brittney anyone???

Tommy

Just happened to loging to the ap wire and saw this missive.... I think there was another post on either this forum or the 'pegbox' about the great sound and whether these guys were playing the multimillion dollar instruments....

Famed quartet played inauguration to taped music

Washington (AP) -- Millions of viewers heard a recording of the dulcet tones played by a celebrated quartet of musicians at President Barack Obama's inauguration rather than the notes the group actually played.

Carole Florman, a spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says the weather was too cold for the instruments to stay in tune. Cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Izhak Perlman, pianist Gabriella Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill made the decision on Inauguration Day Tuesday to use an audio tape of their performance that they had laid down two days earlier.

Florman says the musicians "very insistant on playing live until it became clear that it would be too cold," making it impossible for the instruments to hold tune. People sitting near them could hear the musicians play, but their instruments were not amplified.

I'm actually relieved to know this now. I was thinking what a wimp I am because I could have never, never played in that bitter cold. I had heard that they had heaters for the musicians but yeah, I wondered too how they managed to keep any of their instruments in tune, especially the clarinet. I'm surprised the keys weren't freezing closed as soon as a mist of spit hit them. It was darn cold there that day!

This information does not detract from their performance. Merely proves they are human like the rest of us. And what bragging rights for the ones in the audience who were sitting close enough to hear them playing and not the recording. :)

Just happened to loging to the ap wire and saw this missive.... I think there was another post on either this forum or the 'pegbox' about the great sound and whether these guys were playing the multimillion dollar instruments....

Famed quartet played inauguration to taped music

Washington (AP) -- Millions of viewers heard a recording of the dulcet tones played by a celebrated quartet of musicians at President Barack Obama's inauguration rather than the notes the group actually played.

Carole Florman, a spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says the weather was too cold for the instruments to stay in tune. Cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Izhak Perlman, pianist Gabriella Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill made the decision on Inauguration Day Tuesday to use an audio tape of their performance that they had laid down two days earlier.

Florman says the musicians "very insistant on playing live until it became clear that it would be too cold," making it impossible for the instruments to hold tune. People sitting near them could hear the musicians play, but their instruments were not amplified.

There is a thread on this topic on the Pegbox, titled Yo Yo Ma's Cello

This is pretty normal for a situation like that. If you remember back when the Utah Symphony played the opening of the winter olympics, they also recorded the music ahead of time. Instruments just cannot hold tune in that kind of weather.

I felt bad for the military band. They were painfully out of tune in spots and there was nothing they could do about it.

I was watching the inauguration - along with the untold millions of others - and thinking, "How in the world can they be playing so beautifully when I know it's really freezing cold outdoors there in Washington, DC. I couldn't possibly do that." I was also thinking, "If I had an instrument like Itzhak Perlman's, I don't think I'd take it outside in such freezing weather, even for the President of the United States." I greatly respect our Presidents, but I greatly respect Stradivari, too.