Maestronet Forums

Yo-Yo Ma inauguration cello

Melvin Goldsmith

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops, uh, I meant, you're such an awesome person.
Easy there, I'm just kidding. I offer my apologies for coming off like a jerk in my deleted thread, although in real life, I really am a jerk every once in a while. It just comes with the territory of being a super cool guy, I can't help it.

Conjecture made about the Air? I haven't seen a word.

That meter's famous everywhere the English tongue is heard.

"Thus might I hide my blushing face while his dear Cross appears;

Dissolved my heart in thankfulness, and melt mine eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay the debt of love I woe;

Here, Lord, I give myself away- ‘til all that I can do."

I have just received an email from Peter and Wendy Moes (who also made the cello that I play), and indeed Yo-Yo Ma did play his Moes cello (2003) on Tuesday--very cool that he played such a wonderful modern American cello for this historic occasion!!!

www.moesandmoes.com

Here's a link for a nice article written in 2000 about the Moes from the NYTimes:

http://tinyurl.com/apuflj

Sarah Paul

I have just received an email from Peter and Wendy Moes (who also made the cello that I play), and indeed Yo-Yo Ma did play his Moes cello (2003) on Tuesday--very cool that he played such a wonderful modern American cello for this historic occasion!!!

www.moesandmoes.com

Here's a link for a nice article written in 2000 about the Moes from the NYTimes:

http://tinyurl.com/apuflj

Sarah Paul

Sarah, thanks for solving the puzzle! Did the Moes make him another cello in 2003? Based on the 2000 NY Times article and the 2001 Strings Magazine article one would date his first Moes cello around 1999.

From the 2001 Strings Magazine article:

http://www.stringsmagazine.com/issues/stri...overStory.shtml

"... he also has two modern instruments: one that Moes & Moes made for him a couple of years ago, and one he has only had a few months, made by Mario Miralles, an Argentinean who lives outside Los Angeles. "I love the Moes & Moes," says Ma. "I think it’s extraordinary..."

I could swear I saw sunlight flashing off Perlman's bridge at about 30 seconds and again a 3:30 as if the bridge was coated with a finish.

The bridge looks normal with no magic finish; perhaps polished with a file. The sun is really blasting down on them, so you're right... it's just sunlight reflecting off of the top, hitting the bridge. (1:05-:11)

Sarah, thanks for solving the puzzle! Did the Moes make him another cello in 2003? Based on the 2000 NY Times article and the 2001 Strings Magazine article one would date his first Moes cello around 1999.

From the 2001 Strings Magazine article:

http://www.stringsmagazine.com/issues/stri...overStory.shtml

"... he also has two modern instruments: one that Moes & Moes made for him a couple of years ago, and one he has only had a few months, made by Mario Miralles, an Argentinean who lives outside Los Angeles. "I love the Moes & Moes," says Ma. "I think it’s extraordinary..."

Apparently, Peter and Wendy Moes made Yo-Yo a cello in 1996 which he traded in when he got the current one (in 2003). The first one was immediately purchased by a cellist in North Carolina.

I was very surprised to read the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/mus...tml?_r=2&hp

I guess my next question is regarding which cello he used for the recording....

"Along with admiration for the musicians’ yeoman work in the cold, questions had swirled in the classical music world about whether Mr. Ma and Mr. Perlman would use their valuable cello and violin in the subfreezing weather. Both used modern instruments. Mr. Ma said he had considered using a hardy carbon-fiber cello, but rejected the idea to avoid distracting viewers with its unorthodox appearance."

Seems like they must be reading MN... :)

See the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/mus...tml?_r=1&hp

I guess they're human after all.

I'm not surprised. I couldn't believe Ma and Perlman were out there in such cold and could play at all. I was especially surprised by the clarinetist because the woodwind players in our orchestra complain about possible cracking of instruments when the rehearsal room is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I have to ask, too, whether it was a good thing to expose a wonderful Moe&Moes 'cello (and presumably a wonderful violin) to such conditions. Since they weren't actually playing, why not use cheap Chinese factory instruments? And if they were worried about broken strings, the television viewers at least could have seen if a string broke even with the dubbing. And is it fair to a Steinway grand to put it out there in the cold? But now we know how Montero could play with gloves on :)

[later edit]: Now I wonder, what instruments did they use in the recording? If it was done indoors maybe they used their strads.

That makes sense... but I'm sure that some will feel cheated.

Those who feel cheated are just going to have to find a way to move on with their lives. I don't see this as very much like the Milli Vanilli fiasco anyway, for two glaring reasons:

1. The recording heard by the inauguration audience really was that of the performers on stage, whereas Milli Vanilli relied on recordings of other singers.

2. Unlike the comfort of climate-controlled indoor venues or pleasant weather enjoyed by the Britneys Spears' and Celine Dions of the world, Perlman and his cohorts actually needed to use a recording given the extraordinary circumstances of weather & historical significance, and thus had to freeze their derriers off in 20° weather.

Although, they could've at least worn coats!

I read one article where someone conjectured that the area they were in was heated somehow, however I haven't heard that repeated elsewhere. I don't blame them at all for using a recording given the circumstances. I still wonder what Perlman used at the inauguration though. Doesn't he have a copy of his Strad made by Sam Zygmuntowicz, or am I mistaken?

I guess we should all just be glad that the people running the event did not object to the looks of the players, and substitute a "cuter" better looking version of them! :)

Not that anyone would be that foolish to try such a hoax! :)

No Way !!!

That is not to say that the cold itself would not be a good enough reason to substitute the players.

Why one day we may find out that The President himself was substituted with a double, and took the oath the next day in a warmer local! :)

Room Temperature

Has anyone checked out these pictures of the Joint Services Orchestra? Luis can Clark

Having played ice shows in the past, I can assure you that working in conditions like these is not conducive to good sound. Yes, gloves are a must for many. Performance? Yes - with or without a recording, click track, pickup, etc. Hooray for all our brave and tough musicians!

On an orchestra tour of China in the winter, we played in Chengdu (sp.?) where it is law that major venues cannot run their heaters until a few hours before the performance. The rehearsal was in the early afternoon, when the inside was at outside ambient temperature. It was miserable playing in a winter coat, cap, and staring at the music through the steam of your breath. (Much less the fact that you can't feel the strings when it's that cold.

And that is in-doors. I would not like to have delt with wind, bugs and whatever else they were submitted to.

Funny thing is, many "run of the mill" musicians would have refused to perform in such conditions - I applaud them for being extremely tolerant virtuosi.

• 2 weeks later...