Maestronet Forums

What Make Is This Violin? (Re-Assurance)

Fellow

Hi All,

I think this is a copy of Amati (my best guess) . There was no label at time of my purchase, so I must need your expertise to re-assure me.

Pic will follow (if successful) Thank you. BTW. how can I reduce the size of my photo? (export to library..etc, but I forget the rest..)

post-5682-1231610991_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I think this is a copy of Amati (my best guess) . There was no label at time of my purchase, so I must need your expert to re-assure me.

Pic will follow (if successful) Thank you.

To me, it looks like some German's idea of a Stainer copy. The f-holes don't look terrible the way they do on most German "Stainer" copies, but the abrupt changes in contour make it look like what Al Stancel used to call a "bathtub Stainer", or at least what I think he meant by that. I can't really see any Amati in it at all, but perhaps someone with actual expertise can.

Is it a good player?

To me, it looks like some German's idea of a Stainer copy. The f-holes don't look terrible the way they do on most German "Stainer" copies, but the abrupt changes in contour make it look like what Al Stancel used to call a "bathtub Stainer", or at least what I think he meant by that. I can't really see any Amati in it at all, but perhaps someone with actual expertise can.

Is it a good player?

+++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your interest to comment. It is an easy violin to play (no great efforts are required to play. What are not shown here the work of luthiers' bassbar replacement, regraduated thickness).

My first few years of violin practice were on a number of student violins (like someone to learn driving by operating a tank. ). I felt terribly being cheated by not knowing

anything better. (no forum like this to communicate in old time)

I go with the lady fiddler's reply, a later German take on a Stainer. Although the real Stainers looked a lot more like violins than the 19thC copies do :-) I guess the Amati thing is to do with the ugly f-holes on most later German violins which seem loosely based on the (IMHO) extremely tasteless early Amati ones.

BTW can't get any of your large images to load fully. Are they OK?

I go with the lady fiddler's reply, a later German take on a Stainer. Although the real Stainers looked a lot more like violins than the 19thC copies do :-) I guess the Amati thing is to do with the ugly f-holes on most later German violins which seem loosely based on the (IMHO) extremely tasteless early Amati ones.

BTW can't get any of your large images to load fully. Are they OK?

+++++++++++++++

Thanks.

It looks more like " Stainer " to me now. The way f- hole was cut indicates the lacking of room for

f-hole to stretch, so it curls back to the middle. If Amati the great was live, he would not be pleased a hole like this. No way..

The reason I thought it was an "Amati " was due to the fact that I have asked a lady luthier in a local shop before. She took a quick look (really quick) while a phone was ringing too,

and said something like "Amati" (I could not tell if she was asking to someone to answer the phone or not) . I did not ask her to repeat. She was so busy.

If I ask her a second time, with a carving knife in her hand, I might have been taking her away from a project of something important, she would not like it .

So was my wild guess "Amati" Lucky I get an anweer here.