Maestronet Forums

Lang Case

allegro

"Shar used to advertise one of its cases by telling how it protected a violin from serious damage after it fell off the roof of a car going at a high rate of speed on the interstate."

------------------------------------------------------------

I have a customer who has a case he bought decades ago, described as unbreakable. Indeed, he has an awful habit of saying "watch this!" after which he procedes to stand on it with both feet. I see him maybe once a year, and I do not know if his memory is faulty or he is pulling my leg, but he does the same demo every time as if I had never seen it before.

Regardless of its strength, I have visions of mechanical fatigue setting in one day and the top just crumpling, thus I continually try to impress upon him not to do this, but to no avail.

On the plus side my Shar (American) case does have silk (not plush) with extra padding surrounding the instrument. Another goodie that I love is this strap from Shar http://www.sharmusic.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=1440X&Cat= it even features a review by yours truly. The other nice thing was the case was $300 instead of $500, a good buy all around.

DLB

Can I add to the mix as well? On top of the great suggestions so far how about no zippers, a two piece handle that attaches to not only the bottom of the case but to the lid as well. And a case that is stable sitting on the table with the lid open. Even when there is no instrument in it.

I esp. like Dwight's idea for fabrics. Please no more gastly velvets!

Darren,

If I can succeed in posting a picture, this is the handle for you.

Glenn

post-5422-1230597791_thumb.jpg

Thanks Glenn. That's the idea I was after. Nice and safe.

Do you think that was original to this case, or an addition by someone made after manufacture?

Darren,

The handles are definitely original to the case.

Here is a better shot which also shows the lock which was invented in America around 1900 and widely praised (and used) by the French manufactories 1905-1915. JTL and Humbert-Laberte both extolled the virtues of this lock because when the lid was lowered, the catch automatically snapped and held the lid in place without the need for latches.

Incidentally, this case is one of my mysteries. The body is thin leather over cardboard but I have no idea where it was made or when although I suspect American 1930s.

Glenn

post-5422-1230673620_thumb.jpg

My Mooradian case bag has dual handles like this, but of course it closes with a zipper. That zipper is quite a heavy-duty one, though, and I'll be surprised if it has the problems I've had with regular case cover zippers.

Well, you learn something every day!

I didn't know about these Mooravian case bags so I popped onto their site and they seem like a great product from a well established company.

Did you have yours made to measure or do they have a standard one that fits most cases?

Glenn

There are lots of inexpensive cases currently available that feature similar dual handles. The ProTec line has several models with this feature, as does the more costly BAM line.

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?Prod...subCategoryID=7

http://www.bamcases.com/string_instrument_...hp?l=en&p=1

By the way, here's a cheaper pink alternative for the Hello Kitty set:

http://www.finecases.com/browse/gator-case...cases-4105.html

Rat

JTL and Humbert-Laberte both extolled the virtues of this lock because when the lid was lowered, the catch automatically snapped and held the lid in place without the need for latches.

Glenn

That is a good feature. One time, I was getting ready to practice with a friend. I opened my case, but she was running around the house doing something else, so I closed the case without latching it and left it on the table. My friend came into the room, walked over to the table to my case, thinking it was her own, and started to pick it up. My high-pitched scream and frantic leap across the room startled her enough to avert total disaster!

Mary

I like the Pelican cases a lot...they are a little heavy, but they are tough. If you have something worth protecting they are worth it. Also they stay cooler than metal cases. I wonder what size we would need for a violin? I am thinking adding something like you see in those 12 bow cases to the top would do nicely. Then you can carry all the bows with you at the same time...just for fun, and they would be very protected indeed. If we can agree on the size I connections at Pelican...so I will get one and try it out. Thanks, Tex

I have a customer who has a case he bought decades ago, described as unbreakable. Indeed, he has an awful habit of saying "watch this!" after which he procedes to stand on it with both feet. I see him maybe once a year, and I do not know if his memory is faulty or he is pulling my leg, but he does the same demo every time as if I had never seen it before.

Regardless of its strength, I have visions of mechanical fatigue setting in one day and the top just crumpling, thus I continually try to impress upon him not to do this, but to no avail.

LeRoy Weber used to have a picture on his site of him and his wife both standing on one of their cases. I have a Weber case from the late 1980s and it's one of the best I've seen for instrument protection. Not sure I'd risk standing on it with my violin inside but it's very sturdy! Weber retired and closed his case company in Sumner WA several years ago but I understand he's actively building cases again in GA I think. He's an innovator and is always thinking about how to improve protection and utility.