Sign in to follow this  
mojojojo2

Robert Forberger fiddle - pics

Hello,

I posted back in February asking questions about purchasing this Forberger or fixing up my trade fiddle. Thanks to everyone who gave me some wonderful advise. I bought it, and am very happy with it. I still have my trade fiddle, which I use for cross-tunings (I play old time and some trad. Irish).

I said I would post pictures, so here they are (hope I did it right). I know very little about this fiddle - except that I love how it sounds, and it plays easier than my old fiddle ;) The shop where I purchased it had a book with a paragraph about him. I think it said something about his father being a farmer who made fiddles. Then Robert went to school to learn how to make them.

The label reads something like this:

Psalm 9,6,

Robert Forberger s

Werfstatten fur Geigenbau

Potschnau-Zwittau

R 1959

It's also marked on the inside where the neck joins the body:

Robert Forberger

Houslarsky Mistr

Mor Lacnov Svitavy

I'm curious about the fiddle, maker, or any other observations you feel like sharing.

Thanks,

Dawn

post-28858-1230236996_thumb.jpg

post-28858-1230237161_thumb.jpg

post-28858-1230237299_thumb.jpg

post-28858-1230237591_thumb.jpg

post-28858-1230237800_thumb.jpg

Hi

Came across your violin when I was researching mine by Ludwig Forberger who is the son of Franz Forberger a violin maker near the German/Czech border in the 1930's. I believe your guitar was made by his son Robert. Mine was made by his youngest son Ludwig, the youngest, who decided to follow the family tradition. Ludwig made 39 violins  when he died from a motor bike accident in his late 30's. I have one of his, albeit less well known. Regards. Rick

Forberger violins (& violas) can be quite frequently seen here (Vienna). I remember a time when some member of the Forberger family died, and one could have bought dozens of them fairly cheap. He strangely seems to have been missed by the usual violin making lexica. I would describe them as being in a good post war Bohemian tradition, not brilliant, but quite good. Once, returning from a Paris violin auction on the Orient Express (a grotty night train from Paris to Bucharest) I was astonished to find out that the girl in our compartment was his granddaughter. She seemed pretty disgusted with violins.

26 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Once, returning from a Paris violin auction on the Orient Express (a grotty night train from Paris to Bucharest) I was astonished to find out that the girl in our compartment was his granddaughter. She seemed pretty disgusted with violins.

The effects of a life spent surrounded by "the usual", no doubt.

;)

A friend of mine had a very good Robert Forberger from the 1930ies made after a Guarneri dG model in a typical Czech manner, very similar to a Hubicek (just the golden-orange varnish much nicer); the label printed in yellow-orange.

Unfortunately this instruments are much more rare in opposite to the "usual" Schönbach Dutzendware bearing one of the family's labels. Probably it was more easy to make a living dealing with these.