Maestronet Forums

Stringing a 1/10 cello

mamawelder

Are there any brands of cello strings that actually work when installed on a 1/10 cello? (Suzuki is 16" back and regular is 17"). All I have found are super fat strings that are way too long (supposed to be 1/8- 1/10) to wrap around the peg. If you do manage to get a string on the cello it croaks like a frog and doesn't get to proper tension.

I always resort to viola strings and tune up a pitch, because it sounds so bad. One client insists on tuning it down to cello pitch and wants cello strings on it. I talked her out of it but now she said she found a luthier who "has the right size cello strings" Hmmmm does he know of some magic 1/10 cello string that works?

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone here had success with this issue?

Are there any brands of cello strings that actually work when installed on a 1/10 cello? (Suzuki is 16" back and regular is 17"). All I have found are super fat strings that are way too long (supposed to be 1/8- 1/10) to wrap around the peg. If you do manage to get a string on the cello it croaks like a frog and doesn't get to proper tension.

I always resort to viola strings and tune up a pitch, because it sounds so bad. One client insists on tuning it down to cello pitch and wants cello strings on it. I talked her out of it but now she said she found a luthier who "has the right size cello strings" Hmmmm does he know of some magic 1/10 cello string that works?

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone here had success with this issue?

Hi Linda,

I use Helicore 1/8 strings on 1/10 sized instruments and they seem to work for me. They are a steel core string and a bit higher in tension. Small cellos can be a problem, especially if they have a low neck set which makes it impossible to get the proper downward bearing through the bridge to the top. In my experience, small cellos need more rather downward bearing rather than less.

Most small children who are beginning with a cello this small don't use the C string very much and that is usually the most problematic one because of the larger diameter needed to get any kind of passable sound out of these little cellos. Another challenge is to find a C string for a 1/10 violin when it is strung as a viola. I have not found anything that works, but again the students do not often use the C string on the viola in the initial phases of learning.

Terry

Hi Linda,

I use Helicore 1/8 strings on 1/10 sized instruments and they seem to work for me. They are a steel core string and a bit higher in tension. Small cellos can be a problem, especially if they have a low neck set which makes it impossible to get the proper downward bearing through the bridge to the top. In my experience, small cellos need more rather downward bearing rather than less.

Terry

I was wondering if I should try Helicore or not. That will be my next attempt. Terry,What do you use for a tailpiece? I've been using a wittner viola TP but the cello strings won't fit without making some alterations. Do you use a wood one with add-on tuners and then spread the tuner to squeeze the cello string in?

~Linda