Maestronet Forums

Anyone have an extra $20 million they want to spend?

FiddleDoug

What The Freak? What universe is this guy living in? Has any stringed instrument ever gone for anything even remotely close to that amount? Why doesn't he just set the price at an even billion and really give us all a laugh?

According to the Bein and Fushi website the Duport Stradivari 'Cello sold for $20,000,000 to the Nippon Music Foundation.

I'm pretty sure that's got to be a record.

Dwight

To those of you who are newer than me, please don't encourage this man by continuing this post. He will track you down and threaten you. If you ask him a reasonable question, he will quote fire and brimstone and several dealers that no one can find by any means that support his claim. He will not acknowledge any reputable dealers that could authenticate his claims or potentially deny them. Jeffery is doing a great job moderating his posts, and sorry that I could not resist writing something, even though I am aware he can not respond any more on this site. I just can't stand delusional and aggressive people.

Just saw this nice Guarneri Del Gesu for sale on Ebay. Even has a coupon for a reduced price! http://cgi.ebay.com/A-MAGNIFICENT-VIOLIN-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

++++++++++++++++

To be fair to the buyers and seller, the deal has to go through a knowlegeable agent, and a banker, (violin brokers), like a deal of a real estate.

Just common sense. Sale of anyrhing over $ 10,000 needs expert's appraisal.

Perhaps Maestronet can set up a separate forum dedicated to the eBay listing

of seller Stradivari1719. It seems that some have an never ending fascination with

his listings and this new forum would provide the opportunity mock, deride and ridicule this seller to their hearts content.

Shame on me for stoking the fire, but I have to ask:

I'm not very familiar with the workings of e-bay. Does e-bay charge you for listing, whether you sell or not, and is that listing fee dependent on the price you list at?

My wife seems to think so, but she couldn't verify, and I didn't want to list something just to find out.

If this is the case, that would be some serious coin dropped on a delusion.

Perhaps Maestronet can set up a separate forum dedicated to the eBay listing

of seller Stradivari1719. It seems that some have an never ending fascination with

his listings and this new forum would provide the opportunity mock, deride and ridicule this seller to their hearts content.

Perhaps ebay can set up a separate forum dedicated to Maestronet members who defame ebay violin sellers. It seems that some have an never ending fascination with a "online-pillory" and this new forum would provide the opportunity mock, deride and ridicule this members to their hearts content.

Perhaps ebay can set up a separate forum dedicated to Maestronet members who defame ebay violin sellers. It seems that some have an never ending fascination with a "online-pillory" and this new forum would provide the opportunity mock, deride and ridicule this members to their hearts content.

Well then. Are we all done, or does someone else want a go?

Dear Mr.yx

I agree that some of us have integrity and go after a seller that does not fit the normal and accepted avenues for authenticating an instrument. I have also seen some spirited discussions regarding a lot of topics that are sensitive to the members that are makers, dealers and teachers. Most of the discussions are civilized and fair and after some initial ridiculing or intense questioning, a dialogue becomes productive. I have questioned some people of the integrity of their posts but I have found that if I express my concerns and cynicism, most people will explain their positions in a reasonable manner. I feel that I can post anything on here and members will respond heatedly if it is worthwhile and also if it is not.

Myself, as a relatively new member of all internet access points, eBay, violinist.com, maestronet, am just learning the culture. I resisted the lure of the internet for many years and once I gave in, bought several estate sale violins, bows by la salle for great prices. Who knew to look for a neck that wasn't attached, a frog that had nothing to do with the bow that was actually mailed?

The reason I am so intent on responding to certain sellers on ebay and other secondary sites is that they will not acknowledge they are not qualified to ascertain what they are selling. Some respond in a reasonable manner: I routinely have a back and forth with a seller whose violins show up under the antiques category. She has no intention of selling them as such but admits it drives up sales. If buyers do their homework, she offers good deals for modern, factory instruments and has no delusions of grandeur.

It seems that when we, people that read and can post on maestronet, get our panties and boxers in a knot, are insulted on our integrity, knowledge, insulted again on our own experience, we will say something back. Mr. Holmes, understandably, has a hard job monitoring these posts and wishes it would all go away. Sorry to continue this thread, but I was extremely insulted and threatened by the original lister of the GDG on eBay. I asked reasonable questions and all I got back was:

I see that you insist on speaking from both sides of your mouth at the same time..

You send me offers through ebay yet spout lies on Maestronet that I've 'tracked you down' and 'threatened you'. Well sir, to be honest, I think you are too deeply involved in flattering yourself..

Matter of fact you aren't worth tracking down or threatening because you're nothing more than vapor

with no substance as a human being, much less being a real man.

Please stop flattering yourself (at least on Maestronet - at what you THINK is my expense.

Some very powerful and influential people (who also read your comments)

are also members of Maestronet and they are very dear, very close, personal friends of mine.

These quiet silent types are perhaps the ones you should be worried about, not me.

But then - ask Holmes to explain himself more clearly as to "why" he now asks Maestroneters to

"simply ignore my rather silly listings"..."so that I might just go away"......

Better yet, please check out my other listings, then ask Holmes to explain himself.

I'll be waiting to read your response but make sure you tell the truth.

Another lie will most certainly result in a boomerang effect......

Well, this is not such a reasonable response, I don't think. How dead does a horse need to be beaten to really see the light?

Two things. One, if my original post was over the top, I apologize. It was certainly not my intent to disparage or step on the toes of Ebay dealers. I myself have three violins from Ebay (Pahdah Hound) which I love very much. I shop there more frequently than I care to admit. But, having said that, I now come to point #2. To me personally, someone advertising a violin for 20 Million on Ebay(especially with no documentation) would be along the lines of me advertising my 20 year old used Celica in the local paper for the incredibly low price of only $250,000 if you just call now. It has an air of incredulity to it, and I think most people people are going to perceive it that way, whether they voice it or not. It's just human nature. But for the sake of harmony, I probably will in future simply wish the seller in question the best of luck with his fiddles, and who knows, it's a big world out there, there just might be someone who agrees with his evaluation, and is willing to pay his price.

Thank you for reply.

Well, this is not such a reasonable response

What could be in your opinion a reasonable response to persons they have absolute no interesting to bid and buy? And why he should reply?

The Problem is allways between seller and buyer. Of course your blood gets boiling by offers like that.

Or because the Violinbusiness runs more and more out of hands they prefer the conservative style of sale?

But understand here is still:

Auction scroll

Scroll through this forum to discuss upcoming instrument auctions, both on and off line. A great place to discuss current Ebay instrument listings

No words about "Violin-Police Department" or Online-Courthouse for ebay sellers.

So my question is where you all take the rights to Judge? No wonder if you get non or non "reasonable" response.

What you are doing if a ebay sellers ask for his rights? When a sale is missing or a offer comes withdrawn, and the person tell the seller the discussion on Maestronet was the reason.

Think about!

kf110018_Kopie.jpg

This must be so rough for Mr. Holmes. I wish I could see the look on his face about this thread not going away...

But, the thing is, I don't see why it has to go away.

Unless someone actually engages in name-calling, insults to one's personal attributes, or outright deliberate libel, this is a valid discussion. Maybe it's "mean spirited" to some, or even "online pillory" (I liked that one!), but there are, I feel, valid reasons for this.

1) Does anyone think this is a real GDG? I gather not. I don't have an eye for identification, but I know statistics, and probabilities are strongly against so many previously unidentified Cremonese instruments migrating, by the grace of God, to Brewton Al so that Mr. Thorton can find them. There is nothing untoward about discussing the very dubious provenance of this instrument.

2) Given the validity of discussing point #1, does anyone think that asking a cool $20M for said instrument represents a journey down intellectual paths that are nearly unfathomable for the rational? I certainly do. The claim of the fiddle's provenance could have been the most discussion worthy part of this; the asking price has eclipsed that already remarkable claim with something so outrageous as to now require discussion in conjunction with point #1.

3) Does anyone think that people are entitled to their own facts? If you do, then this discussion may be very offensive indeed. People are entitled to their opinions, certainly, but it's been a disturbing trend in society at large, I think, to avoid telling people that they are wrong simply because one wouldn't want to offend. Imagine if newspaper articles ever actually said "that's a lie" about statements by a public figure, instead of treating facts as if they are actually irrelevant and all that matters is giving everyone equal air time. Would it be wrong to engage in "online pillory" of a figure that proposed teaching in public schools a flat-earth geocentric universe? No, I think not. What if he viewed this board? Still no. Mr. Thorton has made a claim, and he has stated this claim as fact...not opinion...and has claimed it as fact based on his own non-reviewed and non-validated determination. One is not entitled to one's own facts.

All three of these things are valid discussion points. I do not believe that conspicuously avoiding stepping on of toes at the expense of all critical discussion should be the defining principle of this board. That would get both boring and insipid in short order.

By the way, can someone answer my above question about whether listing prices are variable based on asking price?

Two things. One, if my original post was over the top, I apologize. It was certainly not my intent to disparage or step on the toes of Ebay dealers. I myself have three violins from Ebay (Pahdah Hound) which I love very much. I shop there more frequently than I care to admit. But, having said that, I now come to point #2. To me personally, someone advertising a violin for 20 Million on Ebay(especially with no documentation) would be along the lines of me advertising my 20 year old used Celica in the local paper for the incredibly low price of only $250,000 if you just call now. It has an air of incredulity to it, and I think most people people are going to perceive it that way, whether they voice it or not. It's just human nature. But for the sake of harmony, I probably will in future simply wish the seller in question the best of luck with his fiddles, and who knows, it's a big world out there, there just might be someone who agrees with his evaluation, and is willing to pay his price.

There it is again- peoples. I just hate that.

Benzai, your points are well taken. To answer your question, according to eBay's fees page the maximum listing fee for an auction is $4. Google "ebay listing fees" and click on the appropriate hit.

Mr. Holmes is well within his privilege and responsibility as moderator to close this thread because up until his "are we all done" post, most if not all of the posts engaged in light-hearted bantering. He was just saying "did we have enough fun, can we move on?"

But then - ask Holmes to explain himself more clearly as to "why" he now asks Maestroneters to

"simply ignore my rather silly listings"..."so that I might just go away"......

Better yet, please check out my other listings, then ask Holmes to explain himself.

My only comment to Thornton: I don't owe you and explanation.

As to the subject at hand (this thread):

I mentioned before (on another thread) that the seller of the item being discussed is not free to respond on this board (though it appears he's getting a comment or two in indirectly), and I don't think it's productive to discuss the listing in a one sided manner... nor are listings of this type by this seller anything new.

As far as discussing other instruments offered on ebay and elsewhere, this section of the board was created for that purpose, and several of the sellers of these items join in on the discussion from time to time.

I'm not "fan" of ebay, myself... but it's a reality. Those who enjoy buying on it, make a living from it, etc., more power to you. Those who feel it's their duty to police it, well, why? In my opinion, it's doing exactly what it was designed to do. If you still really want to make a statement, why not "police" it with your dollars (work only with sellers you know personally, or avoid it all together)? If you're buying something significant, want ethics, brick & mortar, and a history that ensures the financial ability to back up the instrument, I suggest you go to an established dealer with a good reputation.

Personally, Mr.Yx, I don't make a habit of commenting on items in the progress of sale... Though I've made a few exceptions, usually these are to point out the language in the listing someone's missed, or to point a direction for useful comparison.

I am now closing the thread... Hope we can move on to more productive (and for me, more enjoyable), subjects.