Sign in to follow this  
MingLoo

Nadia?

Guest erich_zann

I put in a vote for a young Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg !

thanks for the link.

(and Perlman is such a great guy !!!!!)

E.

Food for thought about how body movements identify us more than appearances conveyed in a still shot. I saw this master class video years ago, loved it, sent it to my friends, reviewed it, sent it to more friends, and re-reviewed it. I did not recognize Nadja though I'd seen plenty of pictures of her.

The music was just another one of those great players I'd been hearing for years. Then I heard Nadja perform live and watched "Speaking in Strings" a couple of times. Now I like to suppose that I'd recognize Nadja anywhere, but must allow that this is probably not the case.

Another fact appears: I have developed a strong aversion to reading page after page of newbie posts. I tried, looking for an answer to my own new question, but eventually gave up. So I will ask the question here. Is that Dorothy Delay in the background? Circumstances and still pictures suggest that it is, but there are lots of musically-engaged jowly ladies in the world.

thanks for the link.

(and Perlman is such a great guy !!!!!)

You're very welcome. Yes, he is a great guy. I've learned a lot, watching his activities over the years. In one of those videos he talks about how to coach master classes in such a manner that it is helpful ("because it's nice helping people"), and without being destructive. YES! There's no reason to be destructive and mean, gratuitously.

[Well, there are reasons, or rather, causes, but they don't reflect well on the person doing them.]

Yes that is Nadia - the Nadia I remember from school. She had her lesson at the same time as mine in Delay's studio next to Lincers. She was always nervously walking up and down the hall practicing passages waiting for Delay to let her in.

I love these videos. My favorite part is Jimmy (Cho Liang) Lin's upbow staccato passage, Perlman's reaction, and his subsequent story. Jimmy was great even back then, he and David Kim were the best, IMHO, that came out of Juilliard back in the early 80s, and David never made it, now is concertmaster of Philadelphia I think. Nadia is great too, but mostly has a stage presence that the audiences love. I once saw Lin play circles around Stern as a guest performer in one of Stern's 50th anniversary concerts in Carnegie (I think that was the occasion). Had to love Stern for being willing to give young performers exposure even at his own expense.

There's a lady looking on in the background. Is that Dorothy Delay?

Yes, that's Ms. Delay.

I think David Kim not having "made it" is interesting since he did become CM of the Philly, which is still probably the best orchestra in the US. I think anyone would consider that making it.

Thanks, PS.

Yes, I agree that David Kim seems to be doing fine. Life as a professional soloist must be something else.

Considering that the starting salary for players in the top few orchestras is over $110,000, I imagine the concertmaster's salary at Philadelphia is entirely adequate even compared to what a popular soloist makes. Furthermore the constant travel required for a soloist's career must be difficult to bear. William Preucil, fine first violinist of the Cleveland Quartet, left the quartet to become concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra to get away from the traveling.

"Made it" is totally subjective. Of course David Kim has 'made it' in the larger sense of getting a great, prestigous and well paying job, and from the interview that I saw of him, he seems very content with his position - happy even - but then that is the kind of guy he is. But it was his words in this same interview that admitted that he did not 'make it' as a soloist, which was his first choice of career.

Goodness one needs to be careful on this board. :)

Considering that the starting salary for players in the top few orchestras is over $110,000, I imagine the concertmaster's salary at Philadelphia is entirely adequate even compared to what a popular soloist makes. Furthermore the constant travel required for a soloist's career must be difficult to bear. William Preucil, fine first violinist of the Cleveland Quartet, left the quartet to become concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra to get away from the traveling.

After the agency/management (most top artists have one for north america, sometimes more than one in europe - usually a UK agent - a german one, asia etc...) takes its cut, as well as the big taxes you need to pay if you play dates in Canada and the EU where taxes are high, travelling expenses which aren't always covered in contracts, health insurance, PR agent for the bigger boys (and girls); a concertmaster of one of the major orchestras is making a similar amount to everyone but the highest paid soloists, so yes they are compensated quite well.

"Made it" is totally subjective. Of course David Kim has 'made it' in the larger sense of getting a great, prestigous and well paying job, and from the interview that I saw of him, he seems very content with his position - happy even - but then that is the kind of guy he is. But it was his words in this same interview that admitted that he did not 'make it' as a soloist, which was his first choice of career.

Goodness one needs to be careful on this board. :)

I was going to mention that too, and the 'interview' that I saw was part of the absoulutely fabulous documentary on the Philadelphia Orchestra, 'Music From the Inside Out'. I saw it at a film festival & then bought the DVD. It would make a fabulous holiday gift for classical music appreciators. Incidentally Zach De Pue- the violinist in 'Time for Three' mentioned in another thread- is also featured in this movie along with his brother.