Maestronet Forums

Un Gliga Français de Hackensack?!

Desert Rat

And writing their labels in Italian, too.

Which suggests it's an Italian fiddle, since for a given value of Italian, all Latin-derived languages including French and Romanian can be construed to be dialects of Italian.

It's a bargain! Snap it up!

Yes the languages have the same latin roots . for example I can understand italian withought learning it . ebay sows a lott of imagination but none of their ideas does not seem to bee creative.

In my opinion the violin is not a Gliga ! I know very well his work .I now The wood look's like to bee from China and the varnish also look owfuul !

All kind of Fakes rulles the ebay!

No, it's definitely a Gliga. Although the varnish appears a bit darker in these photos, overall, it looks very much like the "Professional" or GAMA model I used to own. Two dead giveaways are the raised fluting that runs around the back of the scroll and the very unique ebony fittings. I think this is one of the lesser models in the Gliga lineup, a GEMS or GENIAL.

Rat

The label is from a GEMS level instrument - probably level I. The Genial level instruments don't include the name GLIGA. I agree the fittings look to be the standard GLIGA issue as does the rest of instrument. With bow and case the price is quite reasonable. I also believe that the GLIGA instruments from that period were using better wood than the same name level instruments today. The craftsmanship and tonal qualities would have to be determined in person however.

And writing their labels in Italian, too.

Which suggests it's an Italian fiddle, since for a given value of Italian, all Latin-derived languages including French and Romanian can be construed to be dialects of Italian.

It's a bargain! Snap it up!

French, Romanian, Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan are NOT dialects of Italian by any definition. In fact, Romanian is considered the closest language to spoken Latin since remnants of the Roman empire were extant in what is now Romania until the 15th century. At that time, Stradivariscu family moved to Cremona and the rest is history. :)