VSA Competition, Portland

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where will the VSA 2009 convention take place?

Can any one post the vu-graphs of Nov 5 presentation about of chinese violin making history in last 30 years? Since I am cantonese, i am interested to know the early history of GuangZhou/GuangDong violin school(it might called violin research shop/lab)?

Dean...

Where will the VSA 2009 convention take place?

Can any one post the vu-graphs of Nov 5 presentation about of chinese violin making history in last 30 years? Since I am cantonese, i am interested to know the early history of GuangZhou/GuangDong violin school(it might called violin research shop/lab)?

Dean...

I'm officially "retired" from the board of directors now, but if there have been no changes by the present board, I believe the 2009 convention will be in Atlantic City.

It was another great VSA Competition! As a dealer it was such a treat to see all the work of the amazing violin and bow makers who entered.

I was disappointed that no violins received gold medals. That was rather a surprise, especially since the standard of making keeps going to a higher level.

Was it just me or was the food at the hotel horrendous?

Great show over all... Looking forward to Cleveland in 2010!

Was it just me or was the food at the hotel horrendous?

Great show over all... Looking forward to Cleveland in 2010!

The buffet was average, but the Hotel and staff were wonderful overall.

I really enjoyed finally meeting everyone, especially Jeffrey, Eric, Joe, Janito, Daryl, skiingfiddler, Martina, Jim Brown, David Tseng, Darren, and a few others that escape me at the moment. Great fun to see everyone's fiddles up close and in person. I really fancied Daryl's workmanship. Hats off to everyone who participated. So now I finally know "What was in your F hole."

Being a novice attendee, I only met a few MNers. The conversations were brief, but they broke the ice.

At the next VSA meeting, would all MNers please stick a banana on their heads so that it is easy for me to recognise folks.

Thanks in advance.

Let's all arrange something like a breakfast or dinner meeting or drinks at night for the next one. there's lots of time to hang around and talk during the week. It would be fun to spend some of that time together.

I'm officially "retired" from the board of directors now, but if there have been no changes by the present board, I believe the 2009 convention will be in Atlantic City.

VSA President Helen Hayes announced that the 2009 convention will be in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and the 2010 competition will be in Cleveland, Ohio.

One of these days there will be an odd year convention in the West, but it looks like it won't be in 2009.

Eric Chapman, in the first of the convention presentations, had an interesting idea: Hold a VSA competition in Indianapolis, Indiana, at the same time as and in near proximity to an Indianapolis Violin Competition. Makers could then show their wares to a large group of fine, young violinists.

VSA President Helen Hayes announced that the 2009 convention will be in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and the 2010 competition will be in Cleveland, Ohio.

One of these days there will be an odd year convention in the West, but it looks like it won't be in 2009.

Eric Chapman, in the first of the convention presentations, had an interesting idea: Hold a VSA competition in Indianapolis, Indiana, at the same time as and in near proximity to an Indianapolis Violin Competition. Makers could then show their wares to a large group of fine, young violinists.

Did you stick around for mine at 10:30? If so, did you intrduce yourself afterwards? I know there were more Netters there than I met up with.

Did you stick around for mine at 10:30? If so, did you intrduce yourself afterwards? I know there were more Netters there than I met up with.

Eric,

I did stay for your presentation and thoroughly enjoyed it not only for the subject matter but also for the energy in your presentation. It was easy for the listener to get excited about the topic because of your passion for the topic. The slides were great, too. You showed that fittings are an interesting topic, worthy of historical research.

Toward the end of your presentation, you discussed the durability of pegs, and advocated mountain mahogany as a long wearing peg material. That got me worried. I didn't know what mountain mahogany is and envisioned some kind of near stone-like substance being used for pegs, grinding away at the pegbox. I asked the question of you whether you would want to use a very hard material for pegs, having the pegs last while the pegbox endures the wear. Better to have pegs wear down than peg holes, I was thinking. In your answer you pointed out that mountain mahogany isn't as hard as ebony and would therefore, I assume, not be as wearing on peg holes as ebony would. So, I learned something I can apply to my violin use, too.

Eric,

I did stay for your presentation and thoroughly enjoyed it not only for the subject matter but also for the energy in your presentation. It was easy for the listener to get excited about the topic because of your passion for the topic. The slides were great, too. You showed that fittings are an interesting topic, worthy of historical research.

Toward the end of your presentation, you discussed the durability of pegs, and advocated mountain mahogany as a long wearing peg material. That got me worried. I didn't know what mountain mahogany is and envisioned some kind of near stone-like substance being used for pegs, grinding away at the pegbox. I asked the question of you whether you would want to use a very hard material for pegs, having the pegs last while the pegbox endures the wear. Better to have pegs wear down than peg holes, I was thinking. In your answer you pointed out that mountain mahogany isn't as hard as ebony and would therefore, I assume, not be as wearing on peg holes as ebony would. So, I learned something I can apply to my violin use, too.

cushy job? I hope you're being ironic.

I don't know about the general quality of the entrants but there were lots of new names, many of them Chinese. Lots of certificates but obviously the tone judges and the workmanship judges didn't match up too often. both Heiko Seifert and Rob Morrow were made Hors Concours I think. Le Canu was there. Some old faces that got certificates were Chris Germain and Mark Womack. Nicolas Giles did well. Antoine Cauche got a gold for cello and a silver for violin.

Ray Schryrer, Ben Ruth, Kevin Kelly, Issabell Willbeaugh [sp?] each picked up awards also.

Joe

So that was you.

Check out the old VSA Journal from Albuqueque 1990 if you have it. It's all about M.M. It was my first VSA talk. Wow that was almost twenty years ago.

BTW thanks for the comment. It was a last minute request to get a talk together. Everbody is nervous before something like that. It's all show-biz, after all. My lazer pointer was jumping a lot for the first half. I was trying to hold it with two hands.

I did attend and liked your shots of the Stradivari pegs. Are there any sources of this style? Sorry I did not introduce myself afterwards.

Mike

Since you provide a photo for everybody, I remember getting briefly introduced in the corredor by Jeff. I was a bit preoccupied since I was waiting my turn to expound.

The "Strad" pegs are much like a peg that I make only with flatter sides and thicker heads. My collar is more like the Hill collar but all that can be changed. I don't have any giugulo but there is some around, I think Eric Blot has a source. All of them are unfinished except the ivory collared one and the black stained one which weren't for violin, so its a bit hard to tell what they looked like installed but I have a good idea.

PS

Is there really a way to spell check on these postings without copying and pasting to some other program like AOL. I've always sucked at shpeling.

Since you provide a photo for everybody, I remember getting briefly introduced in the corredor by Jeff. I was a bit preoccupied since I was waiting my turn to expound.

The "Strad" pegs are much like a peg that I make only with flatter sides and thicker heads. My collar is more like the Hill collar but all that can be changed. I don't have any giugulo but there is some around, I think Eric Blot has a source. All of them are unfinished except the ivory collared one and the black stained one which weren't for violin, so its a bit hard to tell what they looked like installed but I have a good idea.

PS

Is there really a way to spell check on these postings without copying and pasting to some other program like AOL. I've always sucked at shpeling.

Yes, I recall that chance encounter, Eric. Thanks for the tips and a superb lecture. I truly like the personal touch how you forgot your camera and rushed to get it to take those photos. Superb story telling. Truly at its finest.

Thanks also for the leads.

As for spell checking I use FireFox browser that includes spell checking. Now everyone who was thinking I knew how to spell knows the truth. But doesn't the truth makes us free?

Best and Happy Holidays,

Mike

Just as a matter of interest- Howard Needham seems to get rave reviews among the players over on violinist.com. I've never seen one of his violins but I've every reason to believe they're the business. Dare I ask how they would be viewed by the VSA judges?

There's only one way to find out.

Perhaps someone with better records can tell if he ever entered the competition. Everybody who enters is told how they ranked among the field but it's not given out publicly.

Eric,

If you use Internet Explorer they have a spell check in the tools box. It pretty much works for anything that is up on the screen. It's called ieSpell. If you don't have it you can down load it free. I don't know if it works with the other browsers or not but it's worth a try ( they may have a similar one).