Sign in to follow this  
Chris Knowlton

Tool question

Chet, I think that if I lived in the US I would just buy suitable clamps (I remember from an old MD post that McMasters(?) sell them). The only reason I made them is that light, deep throat clamps appear to be unavailable in the UK at a reasonable cost.

... .

I have a set from Grizzly. Only $8.95.

Mike

I can see a fixture like this being useful if the bassbar is sprung, but if it's glued in under zero tension it shouldn't distort the plate, should it?

This is what I was having made by my work. 1/8" anodized aluminum, cut on a CNC machine. I sold ten to a violin shop in New York, and over a dozen on Ebay, but I found I had to discount them to move them. The last few I had took a while to sell. I haven't had anymore made and don't plan to, unfortunately. Andres Sender let me use his design.

frame.jpg

The one I use in my shop I made myself and has legs to hold itself while I fit the bar.

v039.jpg

This is what I was having made by my work. 1/8" anodized aluminum, cut on a CNC machine. ... I haven't had anymore made and don't plan to, unfortunately.

Matt

Since you are not planning on making more of these, is there a chance that you would have a drawing/design/dimensions to work from so that I could tackle making one for my own use. If your design/dimensions is something you would rather keep as proprietary, no problem. Thanks.

Joe

Howard Core has one listed -- Aluminum frame for violin top and back repairs, stock # GW481956. Doesn't give a thickness. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Also, they're listing at $160 (US) now. :)

John Cee's plywood system looks pretty nice to me. Thanks for posting the photos.

Ken

Matt

Since you are not planning on making more of these, is there a chance that you would have a drawing/design/dimensions to work from so that I could tackle making one for my own use. If your design/dimensions is something you would rather keep as proprietary, no problem. Thanks.

Joe

The design is Andres Sender's. He gave it to me in a .dxf file for use on the CNC. I don't have a paper copy, and wouldn't feel right just giving his design out anyways. I would PM him and see if he has a copy he could send you.

Howard Core has one listed -- Aluminum frame for violin top and back repairs, stock # GW481956. Doesn't give a thickness. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Also, they're listing at $160 (US) now. :)

That price is ridiculous. You're just paying for the fancy engine turned surface they give it. Mine were made from a $5.00 sheet of anodized aluminum. I wonder how many they sell, I tried to sell mine for $45.00 but had trouble moving them, most sold for $30-$35.00.

Chaps, I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but aren't the design and dimensions pretty self evident from the photos? :)

They are indeed and this is the same design used by Hans Nebel and another maker/repairman that gives courses. They can be cut by hand, machine or waterjet.

The ones I made by hand I cut out using a 14TPI blade on my bandsaw for the outside, and then drilled a hole and used a coping saw for the inside. After that lots of file work and sanding.

Or, one can use a hand-held reciprocating saw (used to be called a saber-saw), inside and outside, then an oscillating spindle sander, or a drum sander. Aluminum is pretty nice stuff to work.

Looking at all these pictures, it finally occurs to me: my working cradle has the center cut out, so that any height of arch will fit (though I favor fairly flat arching), and I could use it the same way-- simply clamp to the cradle, arch-side-up, and turn the cradle over-- the bassbar area would be exposed. I've never tried it, simply because it never ocurred to me before, but I think it will work.

Thanks, all.

Chet

The design is Andres Sender's. He gave it to me in a .dxf file for use on the CNC. I don't have a paper copy, and wouldn't feel right just giving his design out anyways.

Matt, no problem. I agree with John that"the design and dimensions" are "pretty self evident from the photos?" With all of the great info posted, I should be able to put something together. Thanks for responding.