Maestronet Forums

Using shoulder rests?

polkat

Many people might not even notice this, (in fact some people might prefer it this way) but I think it is one reason many proffesionals don't use a shoulder rest.

That is a reason that is often given. You certainly wouldn't want to end up sounding like Hilary Hahn or Gil Shaham, would you?

>> John Kendall (who had a short neck) always liked and recommended that one.

I noticed this is in past tense. I know Mr. Kendall is ill, but he's not deceased, is he? I have MS and a prominent Suzuki teacher trainer consulted with him about whether to work with me, and he said to do so. I've never met him, but I'll never forget that kindness. Doesn't he have Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS)??

I will be very sad today if I find out he is deceased, but please tell me. I would think I would have heard of it, if he had passed away.

TIA

No need for bold face. I wouldn't want obituaries to be written on the basis of the tense of a verb, especially if it's something I wrote. He's in his 90's, and I sometimes lose track of who's still alive.

EDIT: Sorry, Connie, this was not a barb aimed at you. I was just saying, "Hold the headlines! I made a little mistake."

No need for bold face. I wouldn't want obituaries to be written on the basis of the tense of a verb, especially if it's something I wrote. He's in his 90's, and I sometimes lose track of who's still alive.

It's not bold face; it's just bigger type (so I can see it). Has nothing to do with the subject. It's Times New Roman, size 2.

This is bold face.

Heifetz had an extra shoulder pad sewn into his tux.

I've tried most of the popular rests out there. I have a broad chest, so I wear my violin more on my collar bone and less on the shoulder. Most rests have a very frustrating curvature to them that lends well to the shoulder, but digs into my collar bone or chest, with my posture. I finally landed on the Viva La Musica, however the foam pad disintegrates after 4-6 months. I finally got sick of it and made my own. It's considerably "flatter" than the Kun (The Mach was excruciating for me.) I've used for 10 years or so now and love it! Just change the rubber bands when they get thin!

rest2.jpg

Rest.jpg

Gotta be careful who you ask... if I could play like that I wouldn't mind the criticism. Having said that, I probably wouldn't record it.

EDIT: Sorry, DHart, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

They did record it. Many times. For those who don't know (if there is anyone), Gil Shaham achieved instant fame when he was called on short notice to substitute for Itzhak Perlman. He has absolutely wonderful tone, even from the last row.

EDIT: The following is a response to arguments that we often see but don't seem to be prominent in this thread. I'm going to leave it anyway.

Let me put it this way. Suppose you or someone else--say, a self-taught musician--explained publicly to Gil Shaham or Hilary Hahn after a concert that their technique is all wrong, that they need to get rid of the shoulder rest because you read on the Internet that it destroys their tone and technique. I think people who had heard the concert would probably hurt themselves trying to stifle their laughter. When the same advice is given to random beginners on the Internet, why does anyone take it seriously?

If you're still on the fence, go read what Hilary Hahn says about the subject, for example (and don't write another word about this until you do). And for God's sake get yourself a competent teacher. Buy yourself a concert ticket if you need to. But don't try to learn to play the violin from some dogmatic advice that you read on the interwebs.